Why does my Mac Pro buzz sometimes?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c073186, May 9, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Every so often, like maybe every 10-20 minutes, my mac pro makes a brief buzz noise. It happens when I do something (i.e. click an icon to open a file). It buzzes for about 2 seconds, then it's like the computer halts for 4-5 seconds, then resumes normal operation. Has anyone heard of anything like this and what it means?

Oh, and it is an Early '08 model.

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

A couple of things it could be, just the power supply buzzing away, or the hard drives, sometimes if they are placed just slightly off it will buzz from the vibration...

i used to have the buzz and i got rid of it.

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you do something to get rid of it or did it just go away on its own?

4. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Try checking the hard drives to makes sure all the screws are tight on the sleds.

And if you have empty sleds with screws just sitting in the holes, try removing the sleds.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I remember that on the mac pro that I had, even when the power was off if I put my ear next to the back of the mac pro where the power is connected, I could hear a slight buzz noise. I'm thinking that was normal.

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I tightened the screws, shook the mac pro, literally and the buzz went away. The hard drives just need to be placed in the right position.

7. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

I have an old foam mouse mat cut up in 2 pieces about 8" x 3" under the MP's legs on my desk, Stops any vibration from the HDD's going through to the desk, that can be very annoying, otherwise, No buzzing noise at all here :)

8. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it doesn't sound like a vibration - it is not a constant sound. It sounds like a fan or some other internal component turning on/off. I'm just wondering if its normal because for the first 2-3 months I never heard it and then all of sudden it makes this noise.

9. martinlk macrumors member

martinlk

Maybe it's the GPU fan? Try installing Joost on your machine. When you navigate Joost's interface there are all sorts of animations and you should be able to hear your GPU fan rev up. It's very (!!) faint on my machine though.