Why does my Mac seem so good compared to a brand new PC?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Apr 6, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I just neeed to say this. My 2 and a half year old PowerMac G5(1.8ghz) seems so much faster then new PC's in day to day activities. I keep thinking to myself that this can't be because my computer is now old and these PC's are new, but mine just seems to work better! I have a hard time believing that my Mac is just still working so well after such a long time.:)

Macs Rule!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have a pretty decent Mac and PC but find that OSX is so much better at multitasking and handling its RAM, I have trouble using the PC in a similar way to my Mac. I do one thing at a time on the PC, but go all at it on the Mac.

3. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

macs keep their value after a while too, unlike many other pcs. they have more longevity than pcs

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

5. Irish1978 macrumors member

Irish1978

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

One downside: Less opportunity to experience that wonderful new-mac smell

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Because macs are better computers?

I'm not really sure why you started this thread, I suspect you just wanted to start a circle jerk with everyone going "windoze is teh sux!!1!!"

9. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Lol, you made my morning. My P4 that I got towards the end of 2001 still performs like a champ, it really depends on the end-user and how well they maintain their equipment. Windows PC's just need to be maintained more.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Heh.

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Enjoy that spyware! :rolleyes:

12. ToddW macrumors 6502a

i think it is the tight integration between the os and the hardware that makes them great. everytime i use my mac it always just seems to work and is enjoyable. working on pcs at work is always such a pain. either the it department is putting so much stuff on my laptop that bogs it down completely. or some wierd windows thing is popping up. for the past three years it has just been a pleasure for me to come home and use my mac and know that it will always work.

13. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I agree with you....

however, G5Unit IS using a G5 enabled mac, which is probably the hottest (yes, in both senses of the word), sexiest, and absolute best processor in the universe!

14. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Whenever my "pc-user" friends come over to my house and they see my PowerMac G5, they become envy. Then they start asking questions about it and how much it costs. One week later, one of them bought a Mac Pro.

15. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

In the past (nearly) 6 years that I've been using Windows XP, I've never once had a problem with spyware/adaware or viruses. You say that like you've had a problem with it before, looks like someone needs to revaluate the sites he's visiting. Save your day to day activies for a limited access account with a half a decent anti-virus and you'll be good.

Enjoy your
    :rolleyes:

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You could just say 'G5' Mac. It's a bit like me saying 'a movement-enabled car' (why do analogies always end up being about cars?).

And no, the G5 family are not the hottest processors in the world. MHz > speed they come out as THE most inefficient PowerPC chips made. A single 1.5 GHz G4 would give a single 1.8 GHz G5 a run for it's money, if not a beating. A 2.0 GHz MacBook Pro outruns a dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac at compiling XCode projects by almost double.

So in short, no the G5s were by far not the hottest chips made.

However, the G5 Macs were great machines, and are the fastest PPC Macs ever made.

17. Irish1978 macrumors member

Irish1978

Why should he have to evaluate the sites he is visting, in fact, why should have to do anything you said, when he can use a Mac and not have to worry about any of it.:D

18. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

What, you don't like seeing a big splat for your anti-spyware program every time you log in? :p

19. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Beautiful, just Beautiful!! :eek:

20. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone