Why does my Mac wake from Sleep?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by citron230, May 27, 2008.

1. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

So every night about this time my monitor comes on and Mac is no longer in sleep mode. It is set to go to sleep at 11pm, but for whatever reason it comes back by itself. Does anyone have any input?

Thank you.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Go to System Preferences > Energy Saver > Sleep > Schedule, and ensure that it is not set to wake automatically.

3. citron230 thread starter macrumors 6502a

citron230

It is set to wake at 8am? Which is why I am not sure why it comes back on at 11:30pm, just 30 minutes after it is set to go to sleep.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you running Leopard and have Time Machine configured? Also, do you have some sort of scheduled task that runs at 11:30 PM?

If those yield nothing, then there's one other thing you can try: Go into System Preferences, click Energy Saver, click the Options tab, then uncheck the box called "Wake for administrator Ethernet access". This option, if checked when it shouldn't be, is a common cause of insomniac Macs (a Mac that either won't sleep when told to, or goes to sleep but won't stay asleep).

5. tteravai macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, except that for me it was wake-up at 3:00 AM, and here's what solved it (Apple Care's instructions): go to MacintoshHD/library/preferences/System Configuration. Drag the file com.apple.autowake.plist to the desktop. The system creates a new file that replaces it. See if the problem is solved, if it is you can trash the file from your desktop.