Why does my MacBook 2011 start up like this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by royalgfx1, May 10, 2011.

1. royalgfx1 macrumors member

Ever since its first start up, it's followed this process:
    http://tinypic.com/r/2djq908/7

It's a month old Core i7 2.2 15", never installed boot camp.

Obvious answer is to take it to the Genii, but I just wanted some perspective from macheads.

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

It looks like it's automatically booting into single user mode or verbose mode, which is normally accessed by holding Cmd + S (or V for verbose) when starting up.

I'm not sure why it's doing that by itself, though. Quite strange.

EDIT: It says this in that Apple article linked above: "Verbose mode exits automatically when the computer's startup process progresses sufficiently and the blue screen appears." So it seems to be auto-booting into verbose mode. I'm not sure why, though.

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

4. kaminokage macrumors newbie

Terminal Command ENABLE: sudo nvram boot-args="-v"
    Terminal Command DISABLE: sudo nvram boot-args=

If you’re curious what the current firmware nvram settings are, type the following:
    nvram -p

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

it is, and i'm wanting to know why, I've been wanting to make my MBP do this for a while.

I would refrain from editing the nvram before we have figured out if a nvram setting is what apple uses to boot 64bit kernel by default on the new machines. (this is how you made machines booting into 32bit by default, boot into 64 bit permanently)

6. royalgfx1, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

royalgfx1 thread starter macrumors member

Thank god someone actually knows what the hell it is. But it seems that the question of WHY remains!

It's done this ever since I first opened by brand new box in March. I knew something was wrong, but I just haven't been bothered to go book an appointment with the geniuses.

Only this type of **** could happen to me. For a mac enthusiast like me, macs have never JUST WORKED. But they've never just worked because all of my macs have had some weird random ass anomolies like this.

So, should I **** with terminal and put in those commands, or just take it to my local apple store?
    :apple:

7. kaminokage macrumors newbie

Basically I would just type a command because “Verbose mode” just showing what your MAC is doing right now. Don't see anything critical ‘bout it.
    But it’s up 2 u :p

8. royalgfx1 thread starter macrumors member