Why Does My Macbook Now Suddenly Shut Down When Rendering Final Cut Timeline?!?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ncdasa, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ncdasa macrumors member

I have a black 2 ghz macbook with 2 gb ram and since last night it started completely shutting down without notice and without warning while trying to render the time line in final cut. I tried cutting the timeline into smaller parts and then rendering the selection to see if wouldnt ovelrload the comp and shut it down. This sort of worked but its extremely problematic because you still have to guess how much to try to render because if it does shut down all the rendered work is lost etc etc.

I just found out recently that macbooks have some heat limit that shuts them down. My comp read about 83 degrees Celsius which is around 181 degrees Fahrenheit . Could it be that that was the cause.

I am using istat menus to check the temperature. istat is set to check CPU A, Battery 0, Enclosure Bottom, Mem Bank A1, and the local Hard Drive.

I actually dont know what all that means bu i thought is should mention it just in case it was relevent.

if this is just a heating problem then how should i go about trying to fix it and if it isnt how can i tell and what should i do? and does or has this happened to any one else?

thanks ahead for any responses that come.

(and by the way of coarse iam out of warranty)

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I wonder are your heat sensors reading the thermal temps correctly.
    The one for "CPU A" should be accurate cause it's embedded in the CPU, the others well.. they're attached to various parts of the case and heatsink with some special tape (name slips my mind)

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Yes, it's the heat. A friend of mine had the same problem with a very similar machine only hers would die while playing video rather than rendering it...
    Also out of warranty she had to take it to the Apple store to get it taken care of. Sorry about that.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Use smcfan control to adjust your fan speeds, I always set mine to near max when working on a project, I never allow my machine to get hotter than 75c

5. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Warranty

If you bought it with a credit card, you probably have an extra year warranty. Does that fix it?

6. ncdasa thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the feed back so far.

To UltraNEO* as far as the heat sensors go, like i said i dont know much about how that works or what those names actually mean. If you think this maybe a heat related problem or that these numbers are somewhat inaccurate could you suggest a program that will give an accurate reading or a way to remedy the problem?

And as far as the warranty goes, Iam pretty sure it is completely up. I bought the computer refurbished close to three yrs ago and as far as i remember at the time refurbished computers didnt come w/ warranty unless you bought one separately. I see now all the refurbished computer s come w/ a 1 yr warranty but i dont believe that was going on when i got mine. If iam wrong about this or there is some way i could possibly get warranty coverage (although i highly doubt it) please let me know. It was bought w/ my mothers credit card.

and to Kilamite, i will try resetting the pram after i am done online now.

and btw does know what the exact shut off temp for the macbook is anyway?

7. kolax macrumors G3

The CPU will force a shutdown at something like 110'C..

80'C is fine.

8. ncdasa thread starter macrumors member

any idea what it was that they fixed?