Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why does my fan run all the time?

• Printer with hung document

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mcaffee software reinstall

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

exindigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2016
I was having a problem with my fan running all the time. I went to the Finder, Go, Utilities and started the activity monitor. It turned out the Vshieldscanmanager was eating up 100% of the CPU. I called Mcaffee which is now owned by Intel and got tech support. They told me that if I skip autoupdates, the software builds lots of logs and these are accessed overtime the update function tries to decide whether it needs to update or not. So Mcaffee tries to keep scanning looking for update continuity. It slows everything down and completely uses all the CPU it can. Solution: Get with a tech support rep and they will walk you through the uninstall process and indicate where all the hidden files are located then direct you to reinstall the software.

I did and no fan since reinstall.

I had tried the printer solution where a hung job in a printer that is unconnected of off, will constantly try to access the network but even if that is the case and you have Mcaffee installed, and your fan is running, you need to COMPLETELY uninstall Mcaffee and reinstall.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
people still use mcafee in 2016? op you'll probably be fine without running any antivirus on your system as long as your keep the rest of your applications as up to date as possible.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Your fan runs all the time because software is utilizing your CPU which in turn generates heat.

I don't use an antivirus on my Mac and I've never had an issue. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Uninstall Mcafee, I have never used antivirus on any Mac I have ever used. All it is doing is wasting valuable CPU time. Just don't go installing random stuff you find on the internet and you will be fine. Only install applications from trusted and well known developers.

Reactions: !!! and akash.nu

MRBobFPL

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
Plantation, FL
A reinstall? Really? What a pile of you know what. I checked to see if there was a way to manual update the product as this was a response from the support person. There is no manual method that I could locate. I'm a former mainframe systems programmer and this a program design flaw and a reinstall doesn't necessarily fix the problem. The copy I have installed is a free one from my service provider ATT.

wjw0111

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2016
COMPLETELY uninstall Mcaffee and reinstall.

That's right. Except do not reinstall it. You don't need bloatware like McAfee on a Mac (or Norton or any such things).

Congrats and welcome to the Mac world! Enjoy not having to deal with software like that any more!

Reactions: Coco Nuts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.