Why does my MacBook Pro keep literally dying when it's shut off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mossme89, Feb 27, 2014.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I have a late 2008 MBP that I've had since 2009. It's a great computer but since August, I've been having issues. In August, I shut the computer down and went I went to turn it back on the next morning, it wouldn't turn on. The power button did nothing even though the battery was full. Tried SMC resets to no avail. I had the logic board replaced and everything was fine until October, when I had the same issue. I was able to get it to boot after 30 minutes and numerous SMC resets. Everything was then fine until November when I had the same issue but couldn't get it to boot with resets. Had the logic board replaced again free of charge and everything was fine until yesterday when my battery ran out. I plugged it in and let it charge for a bit, then tried turning it on when it had a 20% charge. Nothing. It took me 30 minutes and 3 SMC resets to get it to boot.

Now I'm terrified to let my computer run out of battery or shut down. Has anyone heard of an issue like this and is there any way to fix it?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would take it back in for repair. If it ends up being the logic board again, ask for a new Mac.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you take it back to the shop again, ask to have the motherboard battery changed first.

I'm not sure if the problem affects MacBooks, but "back in the old days", a bad motherboard (PRAM) battery would prevent the computer from starting up. Press the start button and.... nothing.

Might be a "quick fix" for you...