Why does my MacBook pro suck suddenly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kcfroines, Dec 26, 2009.

1. kcfroines macrumors newbie

About 2 days ago my MacBook pro(about 4 months old) went from working perfectly, to not being able to run iTunes or address book... It's running snow leopard, all software and music was bought legally. I've checked the activity monitor, nothing seemed unusual, and I've tried booting up in safemode, but still, nothing works.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? I would re-install the discs that came with it, but they're back home(2500 miles away) and won't be back until Wednesday,

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

You've given us almost zero information to help solve your problem. Bring it to the Genius bar at an Apple store and they'll sort it out for you.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Fix What?

You failed to define the issue in sufficient detail. Just stating why its sucks really doesn't help.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

He did state what was wrong. He is unable to open iTunes or Address Book.

First thing I would do is make sure you are up to date using Software Update.

Secondly, open up Disk Utility in Applications | Utilities and repair disk permissions. Reboot and try again.

Sincerely,
    Mel

5. kcfroines thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about my poor discription, I have to write everything on my iPhone... Anyways I found out that my hard drive has been corupted somehow, that basically makes starting up take about 5 minutes, and any program wouldn't run smoothly, if at all.

The disc utility says I need to repair the disc, with the osx install discs, but since those aren't available, and the nearest apple store is 7 hours away, I guess I'm just SOL untill I get home.

Thanks for the replys though

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

There is good chance your drive is failing. So if I were you, I would backup important stuff.

7. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Sounds like directory corruption. i doubt there is anything physically wrong with your disk. Diskwarrior run from a startup or external disk will probably fix it. Disk utility might as well but run from a startup disk.