Why does my Macbook shut off with 30% battery life left? UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coffey7, Jun 15, 2007.

1. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I will be in the middle of work or typing and my white 2.0 macbook just shuts right off. I never get a warning or anything. Every other laptop I have will stay on right up untill the battery dies and I always get low battery warnings. Is there a way I could have a warning come on? My battery life is around 2 hours and 15 minutes. I set it to custom and have it that way when watching videos so it doesn't dim or go to power saver mode.

2. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

3. starlabs macrumors member

If the update doesn't help, take it to an Apple store.

I had a similar problem - turns out the battery went bad. The genius at the Apple store replaced my battery right there.

4. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Well I did the update and it didn't help. My 1 year of service ran out and I am not buying the apple care. So I am screwed. Why does every apple product I own have very poor battery life. Its really my only complaint but it sure is a annoying one. Maybe I will just buy 4 extra batterys for all my products and carry them around in a fanny pack. :mad:

5. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

" For MacBook and MacBook Pro systems with Intel Core Duo processors, this program extends repair coverage on the battery for up to two years from the date of purchase of the computer. " says Apple.

6. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Thanks I will try one of the apple stores.

this is what mine says
    Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4751
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 4172
    Amperage (mA): -1410
    Voltage (mV): 11649
    Cycle Count: 162

7. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

The Apple Store Is Replacing My Battery. Cool!

8. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

Ya, a lot of them went/are going defective. They recalled some batches, but it seems a large number of them from all the MBP CD lines have the issue. Often the battery will start to swell up a bit too.

Apple doesn't make the battery cells themself, they buy them. And, they are replacing them when people have issues. It'd have been better ofcourse if it wasn't happening, but they are taking care of the customers that have these issues, which is OK in my book.

9. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

My Battery was driving me nuts. Nothing like typing for work and having it shut off when you still have 40% life left. I am so glad they went up to the plate.

10. blaaat macrumors member

they replaced mine to, went totaly dead after i tried calibrating it.

11. tsalfie macrumors newbie

So, what do you do if you don't have a Mac Store nearby?

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but my macbook shuts off at 40% battery and I installed the above battery update, but it didn't help.

12. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

This all sounds familiar. My wife's MacBook (1st gen refurb) displayed exactly this behavior. The genius replaced it on the spot.

Apple obviously knows about the problem. Give Apple a call and I bet they do right by you.

13. josher303 macrumors newbie

My hats go off to Apple for this. I bought my MacBook in the summer of 2006. My MacBook did the exact same thing (would shut off around 30% without any warning). I just figured my battery life was diminishing and I had the warning preference turned off somewhere. As the years went on, it got progressively worse. Lately it's been shutting off without warning at up to 92% battery life. It seemed to shut off sooner the more applications I had running (when the CPU was increased).

Since I didn't have a warranty or apple extended plan I was hesitant to call them after 2.5 years about this problem or go to an Apple store. I was going to order a battery today, but thought I would call the Apple Store just to verify that the battery was in fact the problem. They asked for my serial number and said they would send me a brand new battery, no questions asked. Awesome!

14. GCY macrumors regular

i think I'm having the same issue. I have the first gen MB that was purchased in Aug 06. I rarely use this MB so it only got around 167 cycles. Mostly, I use it while its connected to AC but at times when it runs on battery, I noticed it would sometimes shut off at around 30%. I can't even get 2 hrs out of the battery with the LCD dimmed at around 50%.

I can't believe I never noticed that until I saw this thread. I have this MB for around 2.5 years and didn't think any of the shutoff at around 30% or the weak battery life.:mad:

Thanks josher for bumping this thread!:)

15. tpsreport macrumors newbie

Did you talk to the apple store or the technical support? I called their store and the guy seemed to have no idea. I am in the exact same boat as you. Had the laptop about 2.5 years, only 199 cycles, ran the update, and about to buy a new battery. I am thinking about calling tech support tomorrow but any additional information would be great

16. GCY macrumors regular

well, no go for me. I was on the phone with 2 different person for about 1 and a half hours! Thanks for wasting my time apple!

The first guy I talked to seems to know exactly whats going on but since I was over the 2 years date of purchase, he rejected me right on the spot!:mad: The second guy got no clue about this battery problem. He attends to help by putting me on hold for about 5 times! I even pointed him to the support page on apple detailing this problem. In the end, he just told me to bring it to the apple store. WTF!!!:mad::mad:

17. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I advise going to a store. Due to my exceptional circumstances, I was out of the country when I could have complained and was past 300 cycles when I finally was able to. New battery arrived today.

I have heard that 10.5.5 is also a problem for the batteries.