Why does my MBP burns through Battery on Safari

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Christian 5G, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

I can't seem to understand the reasoning behind my Pro 2018 absolutely burning through battery while using safari.

I am usually running like 5-8 tabs at once and it absolutely drains it to the point that in about an hour and a half I am down to 20-30%.

Another thing is if. Ileave the computer overnight without plugging it in to charge in the morning I have approximately 30% drop in battery, is this normal?

I have 111 cycles, capacity seems to be pretty normal as well.

What am I doing wrong here? or is that all normal?

Thanks for the input!

2. jerryk macrumors 601

What does Activity Monitor show? If it shows, safari eating up a lot of the CPU, then you know the pages you have displayed are doing a lot of work. You might close each tab one by one and see the effect in CPU utilization and memory consumption. The page running on a tab could be basic things like displaying ads and updating their displays with video, or more nefarious things like crypto-mining.

3. 960design macrumors 68030

First verify where battery drain is coming from:
    1. Command + Space ( to bring up search )
    2. Type Activity monitor, then select it.
    3. Select Energy Tab
    4. View application that is using the highest energy impact.
    You may expand Safari to see if it a specific tab or extension that is eating your battery.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

Do you use tabs?
    If so, how many do you keep open at once?

5. marclondon macrumors 6502

Browsers are big resource hogs. These days they handle all sorts of complex content. Currently on my Mini, Safari and Opera alone are taking up 9GB ram. One site on an open tab on Safari is generating 32% CPU.

What are the specs of your MBP?

6. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Web pages have a lot of background code these days. It isn't shocking to see one page eating up 500+MB or RAM. I'd suggest using a tab manager to automatically put tabs to sleep you aren't using. Check out "The Great Suspender" if you use Chrome to hibernate tabs you aren't viewing. Try the basic settings or go into the detailed settings to make it more aggressive in suspending tabs. I don't know of anything like it for Safari, unfortunately.

If you aren't using an Ad Blocker. Use one to cut down on the power sapping junk. I use Privacy Badger with Ublock Origin. If you want to get really aggressive. Use a script blocker. Script blockers really cut down the junk but are a bit of a pain to use.

When sleeping. Go into Energy Saver. Make sure "Enable Power Nap while on battery power" is not checked.