Why does my MBP keep doing this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klymr, Feb 21, 2008.

1. klymr macrumors 65816

Right now the thing is INCREDIBLY slow and unresponsive. I move the cursor and it does nothing for a few seconds. If I close the lid and put it to sleep it takes, no joking, at least 3 minutes for the screen to come on. It has a fresh install of Leopard as of about a month ago. I haven't done anything to it to cause this (no new apps, nothing). It will randomly start doing this every few months. I don't know what it is.

I ran a disk verify through disk utility and it said less than a minute to verify everything, then about 10 minutes later it changed and said about 6 minutes left. 15 minutes after that I had a list of thousands of things wrong. They are all similar to this line:

Permissions differ on "Library/Printers/hp/cups/Inkjet.driver/Contents/PlugIns/PDE.plugin/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj/Localizable.strings", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x .

A lot of them are also similar to this:

Group differs on "Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Printer Utility.app", should be 80, group is 20.

Does anyone have any ideas? You'd think that with a 2.4ghz C2D and 4GB of RAM this thing would be faster. Anyway, thanks for the help.

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

mine does the same thing a lot of the time. Did you just get a new battery or anything? You might have to do an archive and re- install of osx. Thats what apple told me to do.

3. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope, no new batteries this time. I am on my third battery in this thing though. The original and first replacement both crapped out at 26 cycles. Scary thing is, I'm on the 25th cycle on this new one! :eek: I've had it for a few months now though, which is longer than the the other two I had. I sure hope I don't have to do an archive and reinstall. I just did that a month ago because of the same problem.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Have you tried opening Activity Viewer to see what it taking up all of your CPU?

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You certainly don't need to do an Archive and Install just because you installed a new battery. Sounds like there is something else going on here...

6. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

7. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Have you tried repairing the permissions on the drive? Boot off of your Leopard DVD (stick it in and hold "C" after you press power to power on) and open up disk utility and very / repair permissions on the drive.

8. reemrevnivek macrumors newbie

Repair disk permissions

I have had a similar problem...(There seem to be more problems than solutions in this thread, but I hope I can help!).

NoTengoLegs was right, you should boot from your disk, open Disk Utility, choose Verify Permissions and then Repair Permissions. If you open Disk Utility without booting from the disk, you won't have the same access.

I have had this problem before, and after doing that, I had no problems for months.

However, it has recently resurfaced-I booted it up one day, and instead of my familiar array of dock icons, I see only a few standard ones, all my Exposé preferences are gone, I get a message saying "The file name "" is not allowed" (There was a nameless file on my desktop...don't know how it got there, don't know what it was....it contained (Opened with TextEdit):

9. reemrevnivek macrumors newbie

Repair disk permissions output:

Repairing Permissions for Mac HD

Determining correct.....

Group differs on ./Private, should be 80, group is 0
    Permissions differ on ./Private, should be drwxrwxr-x, they are drwxr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Private
    Permissions corrected on ./Private

Group differs on ./Private, should be 0, group is 80
    Permissions differ on ./Private, should be drwxr-xr-x, they are drwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Private
    Permissions corrected on ./Private

Permissions repair complete

10. reemrevnivek macrumors newbie

I also had a problem with my home folder...along with the File vault folder UserName, there were regular folders called UserName 1 and UserName 2 that I didn't put there. They look like my home folder, but are empty. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!
    (Sorry about the multiple posts....I was getting cut off....)

11. f1 macrumors 6502

maybe your hard drive is on the verge of failing?

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Activity Monitor: show All Processes, sort by % CPU to show highest usage first.

I would make appointment with Genius Bar for them to check it out. (and backup your data!)

13. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Nearest Genius Bar is an hour and a half away! I did repair disk permissions, but it wasn't booted using the Leopard disc (I'll try that tonight).

Yes I am on a Santa Rosa MBP. It's the one in my signature line. I do have iStat Pro installed, but I haven't looked at the CPU usage. I'll also check that out.

I also realize I don't need to archive and reinstall Leopard just to do a battery swap. I was referring to the hard drive itself. I don't want to have to reinstall Leopard again. That was pretty annoying last time as I had to deactivate a lot of programs in both OS X and Windows. I'll see what we can figure out after I get off work this afternoon.

14. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Here is a shot of the CPU usage in Activity Monitor. I'll be putting my disc in here in just a sec, as soon as I post this. Also, if I plug an external mouse in the cursor moves around like normal. Unplug it and use the trackpad, and it's unresponsive for a few seconds and lags bad. How weird is that?

Attached Files:

15. lovemac125 macrumors newbie

Have you run all of the firmware updates and software updates? I've noticed that they have made positive changes on my macbook and MBPs that I have repaired. I would also run any diagnostics you can of the hard drive as well as repairing permissions. Drive Genius, Tech Tool pro, or if you either the Apple hardware test or Apple Service Diagnostic. When testing these kind of things you always want to be booted off of another drive other than the boot drive.

16. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Just tried to run a disk utility check from booting off the Leopard DVD and it just sat there for about 15 minutes and the progress bar didn't move. It just stayed there doing nothing. I gave up after a while and now I'm check it again while booted from the HDD. We'll see what we come up with this time.

As far as software updates, yes, I'm all up to date. I installed the keyboard firmware update last night. I don't know what's going on, but it's irritating me!

Ok, it's been about 10 minutes verifying the disc under disk utility and it's finally making progress. Says there is 17 more minutes left. Hmm... and now it's done...

All look like printer things. Any ideas?

17. RamenBooko macrumors member

Why hello thar Permission Errars.

So, how is she runnin'?

18. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, this morning when I opened it up it sat here long enough for me to use the restroom, boil some water, make some hot chocolate and pop-tarts, and come back in and the screen STILL wasn't on. So, what's that, maybe 10 minutes of just sitting there doing nothing? I just held down the power button and shut it off. Then I booted off the Leopard DVD again and gave that Disk Utility another go. I let just sit here and eventually it worked and I got it all squared away. I haven't shut the lid on it yet since so as of now it's running fine. It keeps messing up after I close the lid and put it to sleep. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

19. tbrass macrumors newbie

Do you run the iStat widget. Disable and remove it...

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

How much free space does the harddrive have?

Have you boot from system or restore DVD, open disk utility, run "Repair Disk"?

21. burp43 macrumors newbie

Mine would do the same thing. As many people have said...

1. Remove the istat widget.
    2. Report back

Worked for me so far.

22. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Did you accidentally move a system or user folder? Maybe your RAM is bad. See if System Profiler reports the proper amount of RAM.

23. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, iStat Pro is gone, but it's still lagging.

No files have been moved that I know of. I haven't moved anything. It is also showing 4GB of RAM under the System Profiler. I haven't ran a memtest in a while, but last time I did it checked out ok.

There is about 20GB of free space on my HDD, Not counting any of the Windows partition.

I did boot from the Leopard DVD and ran the Disk Utility from there and ran both the repairs for the permissions and the disk itself. The permissions it said were repaired. It also said the disk was fine. I don't know what the deal is.

24. soms macrumors 6502

soms

I've had the same trouble with disk utility, however my system does not lag as bad as the OP. Sometimes when I run a verify/repair it will take 20-30 mins, even though it clearly says "less than 1 minute remaining"...
    :eek:

25. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

With iStat Pro gone I've been running just fine. It's too bad. I liked that widget, but not as much as I like a normally functioning MBP. ;)

Thanks everyone for the help!