WHy does my printing stop after 3 pgs??????

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pldesign, Apr 9, 2008.

1. pldesign macrumors newbie

I use a Canon iP4200 printer connected (USB) to an Airport Extreme Base Station. I also use an iBookG4 running Tiger 10.4.10 wirelessly. The problem is this… I can print a web page, pdf document or word document fine if it is under 3 pages. If it is more than 3 pages, the printer stops (mid print) on page 3 or page 4. The print queue keeps going as if it searching for something. I have to restart the printer, empty the queue and then reprint from where the document has left off.
    I do have and old old iMac G3 (anchor type) running Panther 10.3.9 that doesn't get turned on much anymore. It is connected (ethernet) directly to the base station and prints as many pages as I want it to. Every time! The other laptop we just purchased recently, a Macbook running the latest Leopard and used wirelessly, can print the same exact documents as the iBook without stopping. The iBook has had this printing issue from day one. I've upgraded the memory, the OS, bought a new printer, called Apple- they said talk to Canon, I've called Canon- they said talk to Apple. I'm stumped. Is there something I'm not checking or doing? This iBook isn't that old and should be able to print fine. Any help would be appriciated.

2. macsrules macrumors regular

It sounds like you have been trouble shooting this device a lot. When I am trouble shooting on my Macs and there is a problem that I know is not normal, I go about it the same way as you did. Usually the help you get from the people on the phone that is so called Tech-Support is useless :). You got to remember most of the people on the other end of the phone are minimum wage people trained to answer the phone and try to easy your frustration. :D

That said. Since you have tried calling. You know it works on your other two Macs. Last resort, you could try a clean install on the iBook and see if that fixes the problem. Just incase, here is how. Put the operating install disk in, restart with the install disk. When the install comes up, on the fourth window go up under the menu item and select utilities/disk utilities. Then select erase hard drive. Select options and click zero out the hard drive. Then erase. After it is done, finish the install. On the reboot do all the Apple updates. Then go to the cannon website and download and install the lastest mac drivers if it has them, if it does not need drivers just plug it in and try to print.

If you have done this already and it does not work, wow, sounds like there might be hardware problems.