Why does my ripped DVD (WS) have letterbox on my widescreen TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by katlove, Jan 30, 2009.

1. katlove macrumors newbie

I'm using Handbrake to rip a widescreen DVD to my IMac using the AppleTV setting and then importing to Itunes ... when I play the movie on my widescreen TV it is letterboxed - what am I doing wrong?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If your TV is 16:9 (which is most likely) and the movie is shot in 2.35:1 then there will be letterboxing because the aspect ratio of the movie is wider than that of the TV.

Only 16:9 content will appear on your TV without either bars at the top and bottom or the sides (for 4:3 content).

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

what movie?

is the aspect ratio 1.85:1 (16:9) or 2.35:1 the latter will give you letter box regardless

4. katlove thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had multiple 16:9 movies do this ... the most recent is Eagle Eye that I ripped last night. I'm guessing that there is a setting that I'm missing somewhere.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What's the aspect ratio of Eagle Eye? IMDB says it's 2.35:1 so it would have letter boxing on a 16:9 screen.

6. katlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm ... good question, I assumed since the DVD says widescreen that it would automatically be 16:9.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Widescreen means "wider than 4:3."

Most movies are shot in aspect ratios wider that 16:9, it's really only TV shows that are shot strictly in 16:9 with a lot still in 4:3.

8. katlove thread starter macrumors newbie