Why does my site look so screwed up on PC's!?

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Hey all,

I just did a site update (abandoned layers and tried to use tables) and I have been strugglinf to get this thing to look normal on PC's. It looks great on every mac I've tested it on, as well as some PC's, but on others it looks horrendous. Only the index page is screwy because I've had to use columns and table layout versus single columns on the other pages. Can anyone check this out that owns a PC? Any reason why the hell it's so screwy on pc's but not macs?

See the attached pic for how it should look (and it does look this on macs).

http://www.bhennies.com

Attachments

VincentVega

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
UK
Tried it with Opera 8 Beta and IE6 on XPSP2 - looks fine. The only issue I have is that it downloads around 1.2Mb of data (audio?) along with the web page - not good IMHO.

Is there a common version of a browser that causes problems (e.g. IE5.5, Firefox 1.0, Opera 7.56, etc, etc) or is it more random than that?

Comment

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
VincentVega said:
Tried it with Opera 8 Beta and IE6 on XPSP2 - looks fine. The only issue I have is that it downloads around 1.2Mb of data (audio?) along with the web page - not good IMHO.

Is there a common version of a browser that causes problems (e.g. IE5.5, Firefox 1.0, Opera 7.56, etc, etc) or is it more random than that?
Hey thanks for checking. The audio data is supposed to stream from the flash file. I'll have to check but there's a possibility that I forgot to set the audio keyframe in flash to stream....that would be bad. AS long as the site is coming up properly, and then the audio downloads slowly, that's ok- but if the audio is holding up the whole page- that's definitely a problem.

I believe I checked it on IE on a windows XP pro setup. The browser didn't have flash 6 so maybe that gives a clue as to what version?

Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
With Firefox 1.0, on Win2k, it also matches the attachment in your original post for me. Also, I don't have speakers attached, but the load time was quick. So either the audio isn't loading at all for me or it's streaming properly. ;)

Can you say more about the PCs on which it fails to load properly?

Comment

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
I had some problems with IE because it doesn't recognize "position: fixed" or something like that. I forget what I read about it, but a quick web search will turn up loads of complaints about IE's lack of standards implementation, etc., which is of course ironic since that's still what most of the world uses to get to the web (the standard isn't standard?)

There are all sorts of workarounds and browser-detection options, as you are probably already aware; this forum has some good info, sorry I can't remember where exactly, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I'm obviously no expert-- just venting here, since I had similar difficulties getting even my crappy site to look the same on IE6.

Comment

Jeromie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2005
No problems in Firefox or IE, but the HTML validator post higher up will probably be the best approach to nailing your problem.

Comment

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
The validator is a good idea, but it works off standards, and if IE doesn't, then oh well. For example, "position: fixed" validates in html/css, but IE doesn't know what it is. And conversely, while there's a workaround for just about every IE issue, they don't all validate.

9 of your 19 errors are just a lack of "alt" for images; That doesn't leave that many to fix so I'd say it's worth a try. 7 or so seem tied to flash.

Comment

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Hmmm...the consensus seems to be that everything looks ok. I guess I'll have to go back to that specific computer to see if it's still screwed up (I edited some text last night so maybe the aligment is fixed now).

Thanks for the validator link and all your replies.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.