Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
When I first boot my rMBP, or when I wake it up from sleep, Time Capsule pops up a window that says:

"There was a problem connecting to the server "Mel's Airport Time Capsule." The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and try again. OK.

If I click "OK", 6, 7, 8 or maybe 9 times, the message finally stops popping up. But it is annoying.

Does anyone else get this error from Time Capsule? Is there a hardware problem with my Time Capsule?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
When I first boot my rMBP, or when I wake it up from sleep, Time Capsule pops up a window that says:

"There was a problem connecting to the server "Mel's Airport Time Capsule." The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and try again. OK.

If I click "OK", 6, 7, 8 or maybe 9 times, the message finally stops popping up. But it is annoying.

Does anyone else get this error from Time Capsule? Is there a hardware problem with my Time Capsule?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Is your MAC trying to log on to your TC as part of the logon process?
Is it under System Preferences -> Users -> login items?
Or did you specify it somewhere else as a server to connect to automatically?

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Is your MAC trying to log on to your TC as part of the logon process?
Is it under System Preferences -> Users -> login items?
Or did you specify it somewhere else as a server to connect to automatically?

I looked under System Preferences > User & Groups > Login Options and the Login Options tab and do not see the TC listed. As to looking other places, I don't know where I should look.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
Maybe you changed your TC password?
See here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2048

You might be able to clear it by deselecting your Time Machine disk in System Preferences.
1. unmount/eject your Time Machine backup hard disk
2. launch System Preferences > Time Machine
3. switch Time Machine off
4. remount your Time Machine backup hard disk
5. go back to System Preferences > Time Machine
6. click the Select Disk button and choose your Time Machine backup hard disk

Last edited:

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Maybe you changed your TC password?
See here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2048

You might be able to clear it by deselecting your Time Machine disk in System Preferences.
1. unmount/eject your Time Machine backup hard disk
2. launch System Preferences > Time Machine
3. switch Time Machine off
4. remount your Time Machine backup hard disk
5. go back to System Preferences > Time Machine
6. click the Select Disk button and choose your Time Machine backup hard disk

[ISSUE RESOLVED (After 12 days) -- Thank you eduardrw
I followed these 6 steps and my problem is resolved. There was, indeed, a problem connecting to my Time Capsule. I realized this when Time Machine notified me that a backup had not been run for 12 days! I thought I had been running backups daily. It was in going through the 6 steps that edwardrw gave me that I realized my password to connect to the Time Capsule was incorrect. Fixed it and I am back in business.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
I followed these 6 steps and my problem is resolved. There was, indeed, a problem connecting to my Time Capsule. I realized this when Time Machine notified me that a backup had not been run for 12 days! I thought I had been running backups daily. It was in going through the 6 steps that edwardrw gave me that I realized my password to connect to the Time Capsule was incorrect. Fixed it and I am back in business.

Glad it worked!

duo46

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015

Last edited:

duo46

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Same problem. This is what happened.

I was transferring files to a hard disk connected thru TC. Always not a problem. In the middle of the transfer, TC started backing up as scheduled, oops, so the transfers were instantly interrupted. I stopped the backup. Then the problem you are having started? Mounted the backup disk as suggested, it then appeared and TC starts to prepare backup. But just hangs there. The prompt "there was a problem connecting to server" still looms on the desktop.

Now, wifi is working. I have a second hard drive (just a file storage drive) connected thru TC and that one is showing up and I can access all the files. My third hard disk (I know, a bit OCD, but a second file storage) is not showing up. Now this third hard drive was the one I was transferring files to when the backup started and I stopped it, and my props began.

Interesting enough, when I connect the this third hard drive directly to my laptop, the computer doesn't see it? Very odd. I don't think the hard drive failed at the same time all this occurred...but you never know. But in any case, it is a slave to TC and should effect the TC in any way. I think.

The suggestion that worked for you, I am a bit weary to try because I suspect the 2 gigs of existing backup will be lost going thru the suggested steps.

Cheers on this one and let me know if my prob is clear and if you have any suggestions to fix?

cheers.
Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.