iPad Pro Why does my WiFi iPad have a phone number

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gilb55, Nov 8, 2018.

1. gilb55 macrumors newbie

E806BE72-2276-4382-9459-98369619688B.jpeg Hi

Just got a new IPP 11, really pleased so far but I have noticed a weird quirk - wondering if anyone had seen before?

It’s a WiFi only model, but when I click on the device in the section on iCloud in settings it shows a phone number (and the device icon is not correct)

I set the new iPad up from a restore of my old iPad - iPad mini 4, which was cellular - could it be related to that?

Or is it because I’m on EE - which has the WiFi iCloud calling? (So I can receive calls on it when not on the same WiFi network)

Or is this normal - despite not being a cellular iPad?

I have tried calling the number - it just says something about not being able to receive calls

Thanks for any help

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I think you answered your own question. I assume you enabled wifi calling?

3. gilb55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes - wifi calling over iCloud is enabled.

I’m hoping it’s that - rather than some hangover from restoring the old cellular iPad

4. BrettDS, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

BrettDS macrumors 65816

Unfortunately I believe that this is not normal. I don’t see a phone number on my gen 3 12.9” IPP and I do have WiFi calling enabled. Additionally, if it was related to WiFi calling then I would expect that the number would be your number and not some random number that doesn’t work.

The cellular iPads to get assigned a phone number and I suspect that it may have come over in your backup.

I might try to go to Settings|General|Reset|Reset network settings. This is a pretty harmless thing to do, but be aware that you will lose any saved WiFi passwords and VPN configurations.

Additionally, I think the device info in icloud settings may be cached, so any change might not be reflected there immediately. You can also check Settings|General|About on the iPad in question and see if it has a phone number listed there as well.

5. gilb55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I think I’ve already tried the network settings reset but will try again tonight.

Out of interest is your WiFi calling that you have set up the regular one - or the iCloud connected one (I.e the one where you can receive / make calls on the iPad even if on a different WiFi network to the iPhone) - I know only a few carriers have that in the UK

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I’m in the US, but my WiFi calling is set up such that my phone and iPad can be on different WiFi networks.