Why does no other company make a mouse as satisfying to use as Magic Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jayson A, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Jayson A macrumors 68000

Traditional mice and most mice found on the market today have that ridiculous scroll wheel in the center. Scroll wheels are annoying for a couple of reasons.

1. The scrolling is jerky because it has to click from one scroll notch to the next scroll notch. Even if you find a way to smooth out the scrolling using a browser extension or something, you still get only 1 click at a time, so the page will scroll in a jerky fashion if you're scrolling too slowly.

2. Most scroll wheels don't do horizontal and if they do, it requires sort of tilting the wheel sideways which isn't all that useful.

The Apple Magic Mouse is perfect in every single way. No restrictions on scrolling whatsoever. It's like you're using an iPhone. The motion is 1:1 with your finger movement if you're scrolling slowly and you can scroll fast by flicking quickly. The page will then move fast, but also gradually slow down (which is much better than just stopping abruptly in my opinion).

Not only that, but the surface texture of the mouse is so smooth that your finger somehow effortlessly glides along and it's just so satisfying.

The only thing I would change about the Magic Mouse is better drivers for Windows. The Apple Bootcamp drivers are a little finicky to install on my Classic Mac Pro due to it not being officially supported by Apple, so I have to instead download the iMac 17,1 bootcamp drivers and mess around with them until my scrolling starts to work. Even when I somehow get scrolling to work in Windows, it doesn't have the inertia scrolling that macOS and iPhone have. If you flick, the page will only go as far as your finger was able to go, so as soon as you let go, the page stops immediately, which can be a little jarring)

If Apple released official windows drivers for their Magic Mouse, it would be even better.

If you're gaming though, you'll probably want a mouse that has 2 separate buttons and more accurate tracking and higher DPI optics.

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

...In your opinion. For me, I had one for a little while and then sold it because I found it to be too flat and it got uncomfortable to use.

Also if a mouse can't be used while it's charging it ain't perfect.

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

4. Jayson A thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah, I prefer low profile mice, as I don’t grip mine with my whole hand. I sort of pinch it with my thumb and ring finger and move it mostly by leaving my wrist in place and just moving my fingers around. I’ve always used mice this way. I also didn’t have a problem using the hockey puck mouse from the original iMac.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2018 ---
    That mouse is way to big for me and I still think scroll “wheels” are out dated and the industry should move toward touch surfaces for their mice.

5. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

there are many touch mice already, been years.

and magic mouse is far from perfect.

6. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Have you ever tried the Magic Trackpad? That's my default on any iMac or Mac Pro. As a bonus, it can be used while charging.

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Magic mouse?
    "Satisfying" to use?

That's strictly a matter of personal opinion.

Since the end of ADB, I've not found a single Apple-designed mouse (or keyboard) that's "satisfying" to use.
    I doubt I'll ever use an Apple mouse or keyboard in my life again...

8. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

I love the Magic Mouse for use with my MacBook Pro, but when I have to use Windows at work I use a Microsoft mouse. It doesn’t do horizontal scrolling but otherwise it’s a great mouse. It snaps flat (and turns off) and easily slips into a pocket in my backpack for travel.

Attached Files:

9. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Very true. When I used to be a hardcore gamer, I usually bought Razer.

10. IdentityCrisis Suspended

The Magic mouse hurts my hand because its too small for my hands. I think its the worse mouse ever.

11. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

The Magic Mouse is by far the worst mouse I have ever used.

Even the trackpad that comes with the iMac is better.

12. tayy macrumors member

I use a Magic Mouse everyday at work. I know a lot of people hate it but I love it.

I think some people has to get used to it.

I tried a Surface Pro AIO pc once, the Surface Mouse that came with it reminded me of the Magic Mouse but without the nice gestures.

13. Jayson A thread starter macrumors 68000

Truthfully, I really hated it at first because it was too heavy, the size hurt my wrist at first and the cursor tracking wasn’t as accurate at slow speeds.

14. csurfr macrumors 68020

My only complaint about the Magic Mouse: it doesn't track on glass. I’d love to have a space gray one for use on the go though.

15. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

I hold the mouse the same way. The Magic Mouse is OK but the scroll wheel will get you a further scroll.
    Also, you’re buying the wrong mouse if you think they all are "notched", they are not.
    I use a very small Logitech mouse. Moves well and scroll wheel is perfect.
    Anyway, this is all academic as the whole post is simply what "you" want and think everyone else should should want.
    The world doesn’t revolve around you and the post was wasted bandwidth.

16. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

I've actually grown to really like it. I love how easy it is to scroll using my index finger. I still hate how the mouse is unusable while charging.

17. dwfaust, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019

dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

I always use the Magic Mouse. I have one for every Mac I own/have owned. I also use the Elevation Labs MagicGrips.

18. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Just quick charge it for a few minutes, which gives plenty of time to use it for the day and then you can just finish charging it overnight.

19. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

A quick 5-10 minute charge will top it off and get you a couple hours of charge... I plug mine in overnight about once every 2 weeks... I have NO issue with charging...

20. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

This is definitely a matter of taste. I can't stand them myself. Logitech mice just fit my hand better and are much less fatiguing.

21. Jayson A thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm mostly talking about the non-mechanical touch-pad scrolling interface with the inertia effect. I've never seen another mouse on the market that does this quite as well as the Magic Mouse.

The Magic Mouse feels like it's from the future while every other mouse is still old-school scroll wheels and separate left and right click buttons. Oh well.

22. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

I agree about the "flatness" of the Apple moouse. I would really love it if it were shaped more like a Logitech... just something a little more high-profile. Regarding the charing; I use mine about 10 hours per day and only have to charge it once around every 3 weeks... while I'm eating dinner. Not much of an inconvenience.

23. Jayson A thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I never really understood the charging complaints. It’s not like you have to charge it every other day and it charges fast. If you can’t be away from your computer for a few minutes then you have bigger problems and probably need a wired mouse, but everyone sleeps, so just plug it in and go to sleep

24. MiamiC70 macrumors 6502

Your right they make better, more ergonomic, more batter efficient and more accurate mice. Basically, superior in every way to Apples crappy mouse and keyboards.