Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Everyone.

Ever since Apple released the new Macbook Pro 14- and 16 inch the screens have been horrible.

All the screens come with some sort of damages that are visible with certain lighting.

The company has ordered 20 Macbook Pros and have had 5 screen replacement all bought and serviced by Apple.

They all came with some sort of scratches or dents/holes in the screen straight out of the box.

Searching the internet shows results of similar cases. For the record all the cases out company had were new units and inspected upon unboxing and or back from service replacement.

Why is nobody talking about this, having soo many faulty units shows that something is wrong on a production level.

How are we able to send Apple a message about this? This is no coincidence and has been on going since the M1 and the M3.

Customer support does not seem to have an entry to executive levels. How does Apple know something is wrong if you cannot even send in these issues letting them know?

Edit:

Similar threads and pictures of the damages from our units. The damages are the same.

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/zpmyy1
https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/q2q6z0
https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/zpmy6h
https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/17d1g5e
https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/vxbnb1
https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/tl3b52
The pictures attached are our own units three different new units and screens. All came out of the box brand new.

Attachments

• IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_1623.jpeg
    IMG_1623.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1776.jpeg
    IMG_1776.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
Everyone.

Ever since Apple released the new Macbook Pro 14- and 16 inch the screens have been horrible.

All the screens come with some sort of damages that are visible with certain lighting.

The company has ordered 20 Macbook Pros and have had 5 screen replacement all bought and serviced by Apple.

They all came with some sort of scratches or dents/holes in the screen.

Searching the internet shows results of similar cases. For the record all the cases out company had were new units and inspected upon unboxing and or back from service replacement.

Why is nobody talking about this, having soo many faulty units shows that something is wrong on a production level.

How are we able to send Apple a message about this? This is no coincidence and has been on going since the M1 and the M3.

Customer support does not seem to have an entry to executive levels. How does Apple know something is wrong if you cannot even send in these issues letting them know?
ALL the screens???? 😂
😂😂😂

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
not sure where are you getting the information. I have used 4-5 M series Macs and none of them had any issues. in fact I wrote this on 16 M1 Pro and it doesn't have any issue.

Same, none of the 14" and 16" Apple Silicon machines we've had at work have had bad screens out of the box.

ALL the screens???? 😂
😂😂😂

Yes. Lot of forum post on other websites. Mind you only seen in certain lightings and using flashlight to spot them. They are easily confused aa dust particles until you try to wipe them.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I don’t care about scratches, just try and scroll the BestBuy website. The White or Yellow Text on the blue background streaks or smears like ink.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
We have bought a half dozen or so M1 and M2 machines with three of them being MBP M2 Pro or Max. Thankfully, we haven't noticed any issues thus far.

I wonder if you got a bad batch or if there was an issue with shipping.

As far as letting Apple know, you could return all 20 and go with another option. The only way to make a difference is to vote with your wallet.

Last edited:

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Yes. Lot of forum post on other websites. Mind you only seen in certain lightings and using flashlight to spot them. They are easily confused aa dust particles until you try to wipe them.
If they don’t affect your usage, why does it bother you so much? I mean if you can only see them by using a flashlight at a certain angle they’re not necessarily impacting your usage viewing of the displays at all?

For my company, I have purchased many MacBooks. I haven’t had one reported issue with screen quality. Out of maybe 25 M1 to M3 MacBooks, we had one issue with a logic board. That was a pain and highlighted the problems with soldering the storage right to the motherboard with almost no factoring for data loss by Apple. Their position is you should backup your Mac daily and it’s not on them.

I can say Apple does a lot of things really great and a lot of things horribly, but I don’t personally think that one using a flashlight to show a blemish in a display affects the user experience. Is it a quality issue, could be for sure. Could this be an issue with the anti reflective coating, probably more likely. Apple does a lot of QA when it’s paying this much money to display manufactures like Samsung.

For me personally, the best thing about MacBooks’ hardware are focused on their displays. Whether the MBA with a top-notch LCD and accurate colors or the far superior MBP with miniLED backlighting, I have found it to be the highlight of my user experience second only possibly to the ecosystem.

I would love to meet some people in person and share and see what it is they’re talking about. I would love to know what this damage is and if it’s an actual problem. I am not dismissing it completely, rather I have a hard time telling it’s a problem if you don’t need special tools and lighting to see it. As normal use doesn’t equate to those conditions.

Anyways. Happy Holidays everyone. Cheers.

virgin71

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2022
I feel a bit, like a - no picture is no case.
Seriously, I’d love to see that on the picture, to understand what we are talking about. My family using 6 of M-series MacBooks, and if there is a need for a screen replacement to avoid future problems, I’d love to know, how to find those.
As for now, the user experience is ok. Haven’t seen any issues.

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
Everyone.

Uh...perhaps because it is not a widespread issue? Or remotely close to it?

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Everyone.

Perhaps the reason no one is talking about it is because with so many sold you are the only one with problems? My 16" M2 MBP (n=1) is excellent.

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
Everyone.

I have the same issue on my M2 Max mbp

• Haha
Reactions: dominiongamma

L92

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2022
There is a serious issue with the design of these machines. My family had several types: M1 Air - horrible keyboard marks on the screen after 1 year of light use, and barely any travel. Luckily we managed to have it exchanged.
14 M1 MBP - keyboard marks started to show up after 3 weeks of use (no travel and daily cleanwiping the keyboard).
We started to use microfibre sheets between the keyboards/screen and the issue is gone, but this is ridiculous.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
There is a serious issue with the design of these machines. My family had several types: M1 Air - horrible keyboard marks on the screen after 1 year of light use, and barely any travel. Luckily we managed to have it exchanged.
14 M1 MBP - keyboard marks started to show up after 3 weeks of use (no travel and daily cleanwiping the keyboard).
We started to use microfibre sheets between the keyboards/screen and the issue is gone, but this is ridiculous.

My 3 Apple silicon machines were flawless out of the box (2 M1 Pros and 1 M3 Max), but this I experienced. My 16" had some light haze areas just after 6 months, and the 14" had tiny pits/keyboard outline on top of this after about a year. I regularly cleaned both with Whoosh! which is used in the Apple Store, but admittedly wasn't super stringent about it... usually a couple times a week. I recall there are large threads here and on reddit detailing issues people have had with this.

Aside from staingate about 10 years ago, none of the other 8 or so MBPs/airs I've had over the years exhibited screen damage. I'm being particularly cautious now w/ my 16" M3 Max and wipe it down after every use w/ a microfiber cloth and ensure to lightly brush off any small particles that come in contract with the screen before wiping. Just assume the screen coating is extremely delicate.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Everyone.

Are you referring to some reddit or Twitter thread or something?

I follow a lot of forums and Apple/tech news and have only seen (post Intel Mac) MacBook display complaints amounting to less than one or two handfuls ever since Apple dropped the M1 MacBooks all the way to now.

Seems to be about the same as pre ARM MacBooks.

My own subjective notion is that post Intel MacBook displays are on par with those on Intel MacBooks.

And iFixit certainly haven't(?) mentioned this in any of their ARM MacBook tear-downs?

Reactions: jmoore5196

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
That's because the Promotion laptop displays have an *abysmal* response time. One of the worst I've ever seen in person and the previous MBP screens weren't great.
Its refreshing (pun intended) to see another person catch onto how bad the Promotiom Macbook Pro displays are. I say this typing on a 240Hz Laptop OLED display which solves all those problems. Text and Icons pop off the screen like 3D candy. And pixel response times from 3ms on a Macbook Pro to .003 on an OLED I can see why Apple has OLED in their pipeline.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Its refreshing (pun intended) to see another person catch onto how bad the Promotiom Macbook Pro displays are. I say this typing on a 240Hz Laptop OLED display which solves all those problems. Text and Icons pop off the screen like 3D candy. And pixel response times from 3ms on a Macbook Pro to .003 on an OLED I can see why Apple has OLED in their pipeline.
I’ve been saying it for years but nobody really cares. I’ve always said I would take OLED over a ProMotion LCD, this includes miniLED, any day of the week.

Pixel response times are WAY worse than 3ms, the new MBP are almost 80ms!

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I’ve been saying it for years but nobody really cares. I’ve always said I would take OLED over a ProMotion LCD, this includes miniLED, any day of the week.

Pixel response times are WAY worse than 3ms, the new MBP are almost 80ms!
I was really pumped for my M3 Macbook Pro as I posted. But when I did a side by side with the MSI GE67HX which has a 240Hz 1440p OLED display from Samsung with 130% P3 Color and really great deep Blacks. Cue DJ turn table screeching halt sounds.

I ran the UFO Blur test. And It was game over for the M3 Macbook Pro display. People are in denial or dont know any better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.