Why does OS X have the "/home" directory if it doesn't use it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by J the Ninja, Feb 22, 2009.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It uses /Users instead, so why is /home even there? There is nothing in it. What's it for?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What are you talking about? Everything is in the home folder:

Picture 7.png

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No, open Terminal and type "ls /" - an empty directory called "home" shows up in the list. It doesn't show up in Finder since it's one of the hidden folders.

I never noticed it before. Not sure why it's there.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

No he means '/home' not '/'

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I see what you mean now. Why does it bother you? It's not creating a problem, is it?

6. J the Ninja thread starter macrumors 68000

I know what /home is for normally. However, it's fairly obvious OS X uses /Users in it's place. I am just a little curious as to why it is there anyway, if it's empty and superseded, and was wondering if anyone knew.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It's part of the Unix standard. And since OSX is a Unix flavored system it's just there.

When you use Apache web services in Unix the /home directory is the place users reside.

There are many pre-configured scripts in the Unix community that use the default /home directory.

In short it's easier for networking people to already have the /home directory there due to permissions.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That is called the root directory. Not the home directory (which is /home).

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Um.... have you been reading the thread? Check out post #6. Try to keep up. :D

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I was correcting a point of interest. No one mentioned in this thread that / is called the root directory. I assumed (seemingly wrongly) that you would want to use the correct terminology in the future.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know what the root directory is. I simply misread the OP's original post and assumed he was using "home" to refer to "root", as many in the forum use incorrect terms, and replied using his terminology. When I realized what the OP was talking about, there was no need to "correct" the terminology, since the root directory was not being discussed.

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I think the OP still has a valid point. The standard folders that are used are there (/usr, /sbin, etc.); however, standard folders that are not used are gone. For example, OS X uses /Volumes; /mnt is missing. OS X uses /Users; why is /home not missing?

13. wafl iron macrumors regular

Code:
    me@talkshowhost / > mount
    /dev/disk0s1 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
    fdesc on /dev (fdesc, union)
    map -hosts on /net (autofs, automounted)
    [B]map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted)[/B]

14. dan1 macrumors newbie

How can i modify /home to add subdirectories?

So, as this thread points out, /home really exists on the mac (10.5 at least).

But how can i modify it? For example, add subdirectories?

Any command like

sudo touch /home/asdf

fails with an "Input/output error" (exit status 1).

The directory looks special, like some kind of strange mount point. But i have this piece of code i'd like to run on my mac, and it makes about a million hard-coded references to "/home". To run it, i think all i hafta do is dump some files in "/home", but that seems to be the one place on the system that i am absolutely forbidden from plopping files into.

Thanks in advance for any advice, including "read the fine manual" (but please tell me what page).

PS: i'd be willing to do some crazy things to write on /home, including buying a disk drive and mounting it on /home if i am not forbidden from it. I can't even remove /home in order to recreate it as a normal directory: "sudo rmdir /home" refuses to work ("Resource busy", busy doing something, i guess . . .).