Why does OSX Version Starts with version 10 ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andy8, Jan 21, 2015.

1. andy8 macrumors regular

Hello,

I would like to know this. Why does OSX releases start with Version 10 ?
    When we check the first OSX released in year 2001 (called Cheetah), it was Version 10.0

That progressed to OSX Yosemite with its version being 10.10. My question is why did Apple start referring it as Version 10.0 back in year 2001 ? Any specific reasons behind this ?

Thanks

2. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Because it came after version 9 :)

I wonder whether Apple knew back then that the OS would "stall" at 10, or whether the intention was to proceed to 11 after a couple of years. 10.1 ended up being a minor release so that name made sense, but some of the subsequent releases were huge.

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

It was preceded by OS9. The 'X' is a bit of superfluous branding fluff, which has landed us with 'OS ten ten point ten' and potentially 'OS ten ten point ten point ten'.

5. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

I imagine they at some point tell us they have reimagined the desktop OS as we never had thought it possible, and together with that scrap the less-than-snappy-sounding OS ten ten point ten.

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Two reasons: 1) Mac OS X (now called OS X) was the successor to System 9 and "X" is the Roman numeral for the Indian number "10"; and, the "X" also stands for the Unix underpinnings of the operating system.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You realize its OS X where X is the roman number for 10. Prior to this in 2000, Apple had the classic OS, called OS 9, before that OS 8. Prior to that they called it System 7, 6 5 etc.

Basically, its the 10th major incarnation of the OS used to run Macintoshes.