General why does phone shut down at 8% ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by elykoj, Mar 8, 2013.

1. elykoj macrumors regular

ever since i did my jailbreak, my phone shuts down between 6-8%, why is that? before jailbreak it went down to 1% before shutting down... any clue:confused:

2. ominx macrumors 6502

Same. The one big "bug" I found after jailbreaking is the battery meter in the status bar is never really accurate. Whether it is MORE accurate or not is irrelevant. It seems it's always "off" by about 5% than what iOS is reporting and thinks it is... therefore, shutting down at 6% makes sense.

3. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

It probably just needs to be calibrated. Run the battery down to around 10% or so (at least 20% or lower) and then plus it into a wall charger and let it fill up to 100% plus let it sit for a little bit longer. Don't interrupt the charging and try not to use it. This is how you calibrate the battery. Apple recommends you do this about once a month to keep the battery in tip top shape and to keep the battery reading accurate. There are a ton of threads in this topic. Good luck!

4. ominx macrumors 6502

There are a ton of battery threads so sorry for continuing this here but I don't think it's a calibration issue. I've been extremely careful with my battery condition since the iPhone 3G and I'm accustomed to performing the monthly full charge cycle. I really don't think that is what's causing the inaccuracy.

Sometimes when I respring my device after making tweak adjustments I will see the status bar meter jump +/- 5% in either direction. It's very odd and I've never seen it before the 6.x JB

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

whenever you respring or reboot, it recalculates your battery so that's why you see the changes to your battery percentages

6. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

How old is the device? Could the battery possibly be dead and need a replacement? My battery reading hardly ever changes when I respring or reboot. If it does change its only by a percent it two but that's not the normal behavior for me.

7. elykoj thread starter macrumors regular

i usuallly do full charge in evening

usually every night i plug in and let it fully charge while sleeping. i have had this 4s for over a year and have always done it this way. but since doing the JB a few weeks ago, it shuts off around 6-8% now.:confused:

8. ominx macrumors 6502

It happens on both my iPhone 5 and iPad 3. I can't believe more people don't notice it. Both devices are 6.1.2 restored as new.

What darricksailo said makes the most sense. It seems like a respring recalculates battery percentage for the status bar but the rest of iOS doesn't acknowledge it.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I would say coincidence or it's not properly calibrated. Jailbroken or not all versions have never experienced a change in % of battery in my experience and AFAIK.

10. Dizle, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

Dizle macrumors 6502

Mine just did something like this.... Went from 8% straight to 2%.... Plugged it in and then back to 11%. What gives?

And then to 17% by the time I finished this post lol

11. ominx macrumors 6502

Everyone will keep telling you it's a calibration issue. I don't buy it. I've never experience the wide discrepancies in reported battery charge like I have since evasi0n on 6.1.2. I have jailbroken every iPhone released since the 3G as well as all iPads and this is a first. Maybe it's iOS 6? My best guess on why it's happening is what darricksailo said above. It's not calibration but the way and when it's being calculated. I can only assume recalculation is done upon some sort of event, i.e.. respring, plugging charger in, etc. So the battery and it's calibration is probably just fine. What the battery status is and when it's updated I believe accounts for the "odd" behavior".

12. elykoj thread starter macrumors regular

yep

mine does this all the time... stupid battery:confused:

13. Godf1st macrumors regular

I'll agree once you first jailbreak the battery is not calibrated. That's why resprings show different percentages. After quite a few resprings the battery will be calibrated with ios. Just make sure you charge the battery, especially while respring. It took me a few resprings for my percentage to finally stick. I normally plug my charger up because respring resets your phone usage and apps in cache.

14. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

I can reliable run it down from 100% til 1%

Most probably a calibration problem

15. Godf1st macrumors regular

I've also been able to run down to 1% since calibration.

16. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Me too. My phone always discharges all the way when I'm forced to get that low. Matter of fact, the one time it shut off at 4% everyone told me it was a calibration issue. This was before I leaned the proper way to maintain my battery. Hasn't happened since. Plus my battery life is great.