Why does Resume open app window that didn't have any opened?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Samuel Gordon, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Samuel Gordon macrumors member

I love Resume but I hate one thing. Why does it open application windows even if they were closed before restart or shutdown? They were running, but hidden. So after restart it's kinda flood of unnecessary windows :( For example iCal, TextWrangler, uTorrent, Mail.app ... well, all of them. Is there a solution to this?

Thank you.

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Even though you had them minimized down in the dock, the OS still recognizes them to be active, running applications, and therefore resumes it from the state it was in when you shut down. I assume the solution would be to close those programs before you shut down.

3. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Very good question. I hate that behavior so much. It is distracting and confusing and creates unnecessary work for the user. The idea behind Resume was to get you back to your virtual working environment after a restart exactly as you had left it. Resume currently fails to do that and feels unpolished in this respect. I hope Apple is hard at work on a solution for this problem.

4. Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

Well, but the state when I shut down was "hidden" and OS doesn't respect it :) I know I can quit the applications manually but first of all, it's not what I want - I want them running when I get back - but hidden. And secondly, it's not a solution, it's a workaround.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hope Apple knows about this problem and will fix it. I was also hoping there was already some kind of solution...