Why does rsync writes to disk double the amount I backup ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XPcentric, Nov 15, 2015.

1. XPcentric, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

XPcentric macrumors 6502

I'm using rsync to backup and I use more options with it, including the option to archive.
    I backed up about 10GB, the destination show to be exactly that, but Activity Monitor shows it has written 20GB. (not including previous system writes, suppose I do back up immediately after I open the Macbook)

2. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

How much disk space is occupied by that archive area?

3. chrfr macrumors 603

If it's copying 10GB of new files, and archiving 10GB of existing files in your backup, that's 20GB.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

If you are referring to the -a or --archive switch then that is not what it does. I use it all the time and I have never seen a doubling of the data involved. OP post the command you use so we can try to figure out what is happening.

5. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

Code:
    rsync --archive --one-file-system --sparse --xattrs  /Users/user    /Volumes/untitled    
    Thanks for all answers. I hope I was not misunderstood.

Source is 10GB / Users/user
    Destination back up is also 10GB (not an archive) /Volumes/untitled
    The option archive I talk about is "rsync --archive" which as I understood keeps file attributes, symbolic links and possible makes the transfer faster when done over internet.

But. Activity monitor shows a cumulative of 20GB written. Activity monitor does not say to which disk it has written that much, its just a total. My guess is that files that are supposed to be backed up are first archived in a temporary directory on my local disk, and then they are transferred to the external Volume ?
    If that is true, maybe I'll find an alternative to using --archive option.

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

That is not how it works add a -v in there and watch the output it gives you on the command line as it executes. You will see as I do all the time it processes one item at a time. Comparing the source to the destination then copying the changes if any between them. No clue on your activity monitor observations I have never even thought to look there while syncing but if your files end up the same on both ends of the copy I would think it is not much to worry about.

7. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Which operating system?

If not OS X 10.11.1 then at https://diigo.com/0xcp0 see the section about iosnoop.