Why does Safari allow window hijacking?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by senseless, Oct 5, 2014.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I've encountered 2 websites this week that captured my Safari window and would not allow me to close it. One was for MacKeeper and another was some other scam site telling me I needed to "upgrade my browser". I did not want to click on their pop up windows at all and was unable to get the window from reappearing without resetting Safari.

How does this happen and why doesn't Safari block this? I have "Block Popup Windows" checked in preferences.

2. APlotdevice, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The built in setting is very basic and doesn't recognize all pop-up scripts. I advise installing adblock. (but white list the sites you visit regularly so they can get their ad revenue!)

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Do Not Disturb! from browsesimple.com is Chrome extension that does a decent job of blocking pop ups, pop unders, overlays, browser redirects, etc.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The answer is those sites are circumventing the popup blocker by using Javascript on their pages to do this. You can use some of the blockers mentioned, or just turn off JS in the browser. This may disable some legit functionality in other websites though. There is a javascript blocker Safari extension that also does a good job stopping these.

5. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Thanks; Javascript is now off. I'm still curious why Safari hasn't been able to prevent this, unless it's a new thing.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Since pop-ups aren't nearly as pervasive as they once were, Apple probably doesn't consider it important enough.

7. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Facebook doesn't work without Javascript enabled; oh well.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... JS is used on a lot of sites. You might try the JS blocker extension here I mentioned. You can use that to block JS on all sites except those you whitelist.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

This should do the trick:
    http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

I was getting websites opening in new tabs when I clicked on links in other sites. Opening topics in this site was a favourite way of doing it. As well as the topic page opening, I'd get a page for MacKeeper or similar opening. It was starting to drive me nuts!

It found a load of stuff on my Mac and the problem has gone.

10. arcureo macrumors newbie

same here... any suggestions?

Hi, I've recently encountered the very same problem, but since it started happening both in Safari and Chrome, I'm afraid it's something IN THE COMPUTER, not on the browsers.
    I start looking at video streaming sites... ya' know... tv series and stuff :rolleyes: and after a few minutes the page I'm looking at gets redirected to an alert page saying that "my browser is not updated" and such. And that I should download stuff. Yeah, right, nice try.
    Fact is, it's impossible to watch anything, now. Ok, YouTube, right... but you get my point. I want to fix the problem.
    Any suggestions? I don't think it's just a browser issue...

Thanks...

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You may have inadvertently installed some adware on there. Also check your extensions to see if you have any odd ones there that might be hijacking your browser.

Try running this adware removal tool and see what it turns up.

12. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Read the post before yours. :D

13. arcureo macrumors newbie

Yep... just saw it! And I did! :cool:
    It worked, thanks! :)

A'