Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I tap twice for Siri and it has like 5 seconds of lag, makes a noise and then doesn’t do anything. Sometimes it makes a noise, then quickly makes the second noise before I can speak. I’m also so scared to pause my music, I set one side as double tap to pause, but half the time it never resumes. Also for some reason asking to set volume to a percentage always calls Dean.

The AirPods themselves also half the time disconnect for no reason. Sometimes you can get them to reconnect, but sometimes they just won’t at all.

I’ve been to Apple, got a replacement and it does the same thing. They won’t replace them any more... they tested my 6s and it was fine, they tested my iPhone X and it’s fine...

The AirPods and Siri suck, I’m noticing this a lot lately with Apple, their software is so buggy.

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I tap twice for Siri and it has like 5 seconds of lag, makes a noise and then doesn’t do anything. Sometimes it makes a noise, then quickly makes the second noise before I can speak. I’m also so scared to pause my music, I set one side as double tap to pause, but half the time it never resumes. Also for some reason asking to set volume to a percentage always calls Dean.

The AirPods themselves also half the time disconnect for no reason. Sometimes you can get them to reconnect, but sometimes they just won’t at all.

I’ve been to Apple, got a replacement and it does the same thing. They won’t replace them any more... they tested my 6s and it was fine, they tested my iPhone X and it’s fine...

The AirPods and Siri suck, I’m noticing this a lot lately with Apple, their software is so buggy.

To be fair Siri sucks in general. Not a patch on Alexa or Google assistant. Hopefully that will change now Apple hired someone new.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I would say my experience is opposite of yours. The AirPods with Siri actually works fairly well for me. You have to double tap as you mentioned, allow for the tone to queue, then give the command that you want, but make sure you try to pronounce clearly and slowly, especially ambient noise can be a distraction with the AirPod microphone.

But using the AirPods by giving commands like pause or rewind, play next song, or even asking what time is it, I feel my experience has been fairly positive.

To be fair Siri sucks in general. Not a patch on Alexa or Google assistant. Hopefully that will change now Apple hired someone new.

Siri definitely has its downfalls and I think those changes are certainly coming with the latest acquisition employee from Google heading the research. And Apple now has a research facility in Portland I believe dedicated to artificial intelligence and machine learning. However, I think Siri does really well with in-house commands with the iPhone, but for deciphering and dictation, is where it needs improvement the most, as Google exceeds easily.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/03/apple-hires-google-ai-chief/amp/

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/17/apple-expands-downtown-seattle-lease/amp/

Reactions: BigMcGuire

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I would say my experience is opposite of yours. The AirPods with Siri actually works fairly well for me. You have to double tap as you mentioned, allow for the tone to queue, then give the command that you want, but make sure you try to pronounce clearly and slowly, especially ambient noise can be a distraction with the AirPod microphone.

But using the AirPods by giving commands like pause or rewind, play next song, or even asking what time is it, I feel my experience has been fairly positive.

Siri definitely has its downfalls and I think those changes are certainly coming with the latest acquisition employee from Google heading the research. And Apple now has a research facility in Portland I believe dedicated to artificial intelligence and machine learning. However, I think Siri does really well with in-house commands with the iPhone, but for deciphering and dictation, is where it needs improvement the most, as Google exceeds easily.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/03/apple-hires-google-ai-chief/amp/

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/17/apple-expands-downtown-seattle-lease/amp/

My issue with Siri is some days I can dictate a text to someone on my Apple Watch Series 3 and it is completely accurate. Other days it is so off it’s untrue. I think you are right, we will see improvements as Apple puts more focus and quality resources on it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My issue with Siri is some days I can dictate a text to someone on my Apple Watch Series 3 and it is completely accurate. Other days it is so off it’s untrue. I think you are right, we will see improvements as Apple puts more focus and quality resources on it.

You make a valid point about how Siri can be efficient and accurate at times and other times it’s completely off-base. Some are not aware, Siri is also server-based, it’s not iOS embedded. Sometimes I think that has a contribution to its performance with how variable it can be.

Reactions: LordEntropy

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Siri doesn’t work on my Apple Watch 3 at all, I gave up on that long ago though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Siri doesn’t work on my Apple Watch 3 at all, I gave up on that long ago though.

Something is wrong, because Siri should work rather efficiently with dictation on the Apple Watch, as it does for plenty of others. You could always re-pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone to see if there is some sort of discrepancy there. Because the Apple Watch relies on the iPhone when it comes to Siri.

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Something is wrong, because Siri should work rather efficiently with dictation on the Apple Watch, as it does for plenty of others. You could always re-pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone to see if there is some sort of discrepancy there. Because the Apple Watch relies on the iPhone when it comes to Siri.

Yeah I haven’t found it to be totally useless , just inconsistent. Might be worth re-pairing as you suggest.

Reactions: 44267547

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014

Have three phones and three Apple Watches... just the same on every device. Half the time Siri doesn’t register what I’m saying on the Watch, the times it does it usually takes too long or gets it wrong.

I think Siri hates wind noise as it works on my phone, just it sucks on devices that are exposed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.