Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Just wondering why I run these applications such as iLife and often times I have more then 50% processor power sitting idle? Why can't they use more to process and render stuff faster?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Either they weren't optimized to take advantage of multiple cores (assuming you have such a machine..), or there's a bottleneck somewhere (e.g. a hard drive).

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I have a brand new MBP :). I thought iLife would be optimized for such an activity. I have seen iDVD hit 104% before, but not consistently.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Just wondering why I run these applications such as iLife and often times I have more then 50% processor power sitting idle? Why can't they use more to process and render stuff faster?

Probably because the processor is not the component in the system that is holding everything up. Your computer may lack RAM or the hard drive maybe too slow or any number of reasons.

Just because your processor is not running at 100% does not mean that your computer is not maxed out. It just means that another component is a bottleneck in the system.

Saying that, in your case I believe that is probably because you are not doing anything which requires 100% of your CPU. What is it that you are trying to do?

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I am rendering/burning a DVD in iDVD currently.

EDIT: Just hit 115% for iDVD woot woot, now we are talking.

edit:
136.5, why did it take so long to rev up lol.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
it is probably because they are either not multi-threaded to take advantage of multiple cores, or lack of RAM may cause the HD to create a bottleneck.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
iDVD is capable of using all the cores in your system. It is most likely a bottleneck elsewhere. I wouldn't worry about CPU utilisation too much though.

I'm not, but I just want to get this thing done faster before people start leaving.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Probably because the processor is not the component in the system that is holding everything up. Your computer may lack RAM or the hard drive maybe too slow or any number of reasons.

Agreed. The current processors are overkill for 90% of users. The only time I use 100% of my processor is doing handbrake encodes. There comes a point when you can't move data through the system fast enough, hence the reason we get faster buses and faster memory every year.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Ya or iStat Pro, I forget. I kept clicking on it and watching the percentages to see what was going on.

I tempted to change out the hard drive myself for the 7200 rpm one.

Memory can't be much of a bottleneck because I have not even hit close to 100% used yet.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Ya or iStat Pro, I forget. I kept clicking on it and watching the percentages to see what was going on.

I tempted to change out the hard drive myself for the 7200 rpm one.

Memory can't be much of a bottleneck because I have not even hit close to 100% used yet.

Memory bandwidth could still be the bottleneck.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
:(. So I gotta wait until there are 2 gig sticks at 800 mhz being made lol. Can the SR chipset work with that?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I am rendering/burning a DVD in iDVD currently.

EDIT: Just hit 115% for iDVD woot woot, now we are talking.

edit:
136.5, why did it take so long to rev up lol.
My guess is that the rendering goes through different phases. I don't have deep knowledge of what it takes to prepare and render your DVD, but maybe the first phase you saw when it only used 50% was a hard drive intensive phase, like for instance gathering information about all the different files and stuff like that, and then when it got to the actual encoding of video it allowed the processor to work at 115% because the hard drive became less of a bottleneck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.