Why does start up take so long?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilkenton, Nov 10, 2013.

1. pilkenton macrumors member

pilkenton

With technology the way it is today, how come it takes so long for a computer to start when you turn it on? You would think it would start instantly like a TV does.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

How long do you call long? Plus a TV is a TV, not a computer.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

If it bothers you that much, just put your computer to sleep rather than off.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

What, from power on to a working desktop??

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For one thing, your TV isn't a computer, so it doesn't have to launch an operating system, load system files, check RAM and drives, load apps, etc. It also can't do what your computer can do.

Your boot up speed is determined by many factors. A Mac will boot faster with a SSD than with a HDD, for example. Are you referring to the boot time until you see the login window, or until it's completely up, showing your desktop? If the latter, you can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
    • System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/StartupItems

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Why not simply let it sleep? The only time I power down a laptop is when I leave it home and I'm going to be gone for a few days or more.

And how long do you think is too long?

And TVs these days aren't completely asleep anyway - they have something running to listen for the remote.

8. gobsmacked macrumors member

I was going to say the same thing. If I put my TV in power saver mode it takes as long to be ready to watch as my computer takes to boot. Not only that but I have to walk over to it and hit the power button.
    My other unhelpful suggestion: remove most of the memory from your computer. My Mac Pro used to start up a lot faster when there was less memory to check.