why does the 3g ipad cost so much more then wifi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by flyguy206, Feb 12, 2010.

1. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

More hardware cost more money, did you think you get more hardware for free?

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

5. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

+1

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hardware Costs.
    extra R&D.
    Licencing fees.

all adds up.

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Not to mention that Apple likes to skin people for extras, too. Always have done.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Why does a Corvette ZR1 cost more than a standard coupe? :eek:

9. glide macrumors regular

It doesn't add up to an extra $125, or whatever it is they are charging.

10. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the rest is called profit margin. Simple solution. Don't buy 3G.

How many people are going to walk around with an iPad anyway. It doesn't fit in your pocket.

I would use it at home 99% of the time and if I brought it somewhere, I would look for a Hotspot if I wanted to surf. You can still read books/comic, listen to music, play games, watch video without a connection.

When you think about it, do you really need 3G?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I dunno, but I'm buying the 3G model so I can use it outside. For instance, I may opt to go to florida next fall and instead of taking my laptop, I'll take the iPad. I believe I should be able to upload my camera pictures for it with the camera kit. I'll be able to watch movies and read books and more importantly surf the web at the resort.

In my travels, I've noticed that more often then not, when a place advertises free internet, its problematic at best. With the 3G option, I'll not have to worry about it.

12. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

Well different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't spend on a 3g hardware I might use on vacation, because my resorts wifi might be spotty. Usually when I am away on vacation I don't want to spend my time on the internet. If I have to go to the lobby to get good wifi, no biggie.

13. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Pray tell how much the extra R&D, the extra licensing fees, and the extra labor costs so we actually know whether it does add up to the extra $130.

Not to mention the fact that Apple needs to make some sort of money, otherwise what's in it for them?

14. melman101 macrumors 68030

Well, it's not really the 3G that gets me. It's the GPS. And I can see myself using it when I'm going on a trip. Sure I have my iPhone with GPS. But imagine being a passenger driving down the highway with a 10" touch screen showing exactly where you are moving and what's around you and what not.

Just seems too awesome to pass up. Plus the added benefit of 3G and having that everywhere without worrying about whether my iPhone is working properly or what not is amazing. It's not like I have to sign a contract for it. So why not splurge the extra $100. I'm already spending $600 :).

15. madmak macrumors member

It costs more because it has bigger profit margin for Apple.

If you looked at the recent iSuppli cost breakdown for the iPad, the lowest model components cost around 230, the one wit 3G costs 260.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10451132-1.html

Look at how Apple's profit margin scale - the highest end model costs 346 in hardware and retails at 829.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also I seem to remember reading that since Apple talked AT&T into giving such a low no contract price that they were probably getting about $30 per 3G iPad.

17. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

Its because ATT is getting kick backs... Do you really believe that they are going to charge laptops $60 for data connect, and let a "laptopesque" device only do it for $30 a month? ATT is getting a cut, plan and simple

18. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

why does Dell charge $125 for 3G on a netbook?
    why does HP charge $125 for 3G on a netbook?

19. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Because people value the ability to use 3G over just wifi. Thus apple is charging what people will pay for, to add that feature.

Why does the extreme audio system cost 1795 more in the car you just bought? Its parts are only worth $300? Because people will pay for it.

Apple's pricing structure is set up to make money, and they are very good at making profit on the things users will value the most. Memory and having 3G capabilities. These prices allow them to sell the base model for 499. and still make a good chunk of money overall.

What it costs to put a 3G radio in something is irrelevant. You don't sell things for what it cost you, you sell things for what people will pay for them.

Personally I think I will buy the base model first and see how things shake out. Then upgrade later on and give my fist iPad to someone else. Although at this point I am not 100% certain I will be getting one right away, but I suspect by at least the end of this year.

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

i think this is possiable

21. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I also agree that it is possible that Apple is giving kickbacks on these devices.. but not sure.

I do remember around launch time that someone said the reason why AT&T won the contract for the iPad was because they had the most aggressive pricing structure.

22. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Apple could charge less and still make a decent profit. Apple charges that much because people (a.k.a. suckers) will pay the (relatively) high price. So, why wouldn't Apple in order to maximize the profit.

23. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

24. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

Because it's $130 more cool than the WiFi only version.

25. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Do you guys think there will be a jailbroken app to allow you to use you iPhone's GPS with your iPad? Isn't that how the TomTom Cradle works?