Why does the App store no longer quits to install app after purchase?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by timidhermit, Aug 19, 2011.

1. timidhermit macrumors regular

I just noticed this odd behavior with the App Store on my iPad.

In the past, whenever I made a purchased (free or paid) download, the App Store would quit automatically after I tapped on the install button, and the app would appear on my homescreen and begin the install process.

Since earlier today, when I tap on the install button, the App Store will no longer quit automatically. The app will also NOT install automatically. Only when I MANUALLY close the App Store will the app install process begin. I have never seen this behavior before. Rebooting iPad was of no help.

Help?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Sorry I offer no help, but I'd like to say that I wish mine did that. Some times I want to install several apps from a search results or list and it's a pain when I reopen the App Store to find it has lost its place every single time.

3. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I noticed this for the first time today. It took them long enough! Now I can update apps or purchase apps without having to go back to the app store every time.

4. madat42 macrumors regular

Your right, after entering your password, the screen just remains on the App Store. It is installing in the background though. Now all they have to do is make the button say 'installing' and I'll be happy.

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

This feature was part of iOS 5 beta 6. I wonder if Apple made it accessible to all immediately? This has also been a Cydia tweak for a while on jb iDevices.

6. timidhermit thread starter macrumors regular

This is odd. How come there had been no news posted about this big change?

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yes. Definitely needs this

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Surely that - not providing feedback to the user that the app is installing - goes against the human interface guidelines that Apple forces developers to obey :rolleyes:

9. timidhermit thread starter macrumors regular

Also, can someone confirm this behavior?

For my App Store running on 4.3.3 JB, the purchased apps actually DO NOT DOWNLOAD in the background. The icon for an "purchased" app ONLY appears for the first time when I quit the App Store manually. At that time, all of the "purchases" you made in the current session of the App Store begin to download. In this sense, the App Store does not QUIT automatically and only FLAGS the app to be download later (i.e., not downloading in the background).

10. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Glad it's not just me....I thought something was broken at first....they definitely need some indication that a download/install is happening though.

11. shandyman Suspended

don't think it's a part of beta 6 as it's not doing that on mine

12. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

13. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Mine isn't quitting either. I did get a bit frustrated the first time because I thought it wasn't installing and then I saw the app on the home screen. Thought it was a bug but seems to be a feature I think?

14. Surely Guest

Surely

15. shandyman Suspended

Same here. Maybe it's more of a bug than a feature. Don't remember reading about it in the release notes, tho they are long! Lol

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep mine still quits.

Maybe it's a localized thing?