Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
I don't understand. If the Apple TV doesn't have any component output now and only HDMI, why does it have an optical audio output right next to the HDMI? Doesn't HDMI carry video AND audio? What's the purpose is connecting both an HDMI cable and a Tos-link cable for the same source?

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
some home theather systems have hdmi for video. But they do no support audio via hdmi. The sony str-dg520 is an example

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
In my home theater (well, technically my dad's but anyway), I couldn't get audio if there was no dedicated audio output. The HDMI would go to the projector but there is no audio in the projector so I would need e.g. optical audio to get some sound to the 5.1 speakers.

It's weird that you're "complaining" about an extra port, usually people complain about the lack of ports in their Apple products :p

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I don't understand. If the Apple TV doesn't have any component output now and only HDMI, why does it have an optical audio output right next to the HDMI? Doesn't HDMI carry video AND audio? What's the purpose is connecting both an HDMI cable and a Tos-link cable for the same source?

I probably wouldn't buy the new AppleTV if it didn't have one.
My HDMI receiver has 2 HDMI inputs.
They are currently being used by my Xbox and PS3.
I can hook up my ApplyTV to my TV directly with HDMI and since it doesn't use hidef audio, it isn't necessary to waste an input on my receiver.
Doesn't mean I don't want 5.1 sound.
I have plenty of optical inputs on my receiver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.