Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I turn it off on certain occasions, so it's not a biggy.

However, I wondered why it takes so long to start up?

Wishing you all well.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It's running a super slimmed down version is iOS, and running it on two of the efficiency cores from the A16 chip. I suspect under-clocked too but I don't know for sure. That probably means it's doing a disproportionate amount of work at startup on those little cores, though for day to day operations it's far less noticeable.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

Wishing you all well.
it has to load the OS and everything that comes with it. When I got my Ultra2 I noticed that it boots quite a bit faster than the original Ultra ...
modern OSs are hogs ... last time I booted up my 2006 MacBook with 2 GB RAM it booted up faster than my 2019MBPro with 16GB RAM.

Reactions: Bichon

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
In addition to the reasons Howard2k and jz0309 gave above, think about all of the additional hardware on the watch that isn't on your Mac or phone. Then remember that booting the watch involves loading a device driver and initializing the hardware for each of them, e.g., an electrical heart sensor, a third‑generation optical heart sensor, a temperature sensor, a compass, an always‑on altimeter to name just the first few I nabbed off the spec sheet.

Reactions: cubodado

ZackeryBrian

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2024

Wishing you all well.
The Apple Watch may take a bit longer to start up compared to other devices due to its complex operating system and hardware configuration. During the startup process, the watch needs to initialize various components, load the operating system, and establish connections with other devices like your iPhone.
Additionally, if your Apple Watch has recently been updated or restarted, it might take a bit longer to boot up as it goes through necessary processes to ensure everything is running smoothly.
While the startup time may vary depending on factors like the model of your Apple Watch and the current state of its software, rest assured that once it's up and running, you'll be able to enjoy its features and functionality without delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.