Why Does the Built in Battery have Better Life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brent0saurus, Jun 11, 2009.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

Call me stupid, but i don't understand why having an "unremovable" battery would make the life better. I understand that it does but I've seen tear downs of the machine and the battery seems to be in the same spot and just as big.

It also doesn't seem like it would really make it any thinner since the bottom of the computer still needs to go over it. so i would think its just a matter of having the bottom of the computer attached to the battery, like all the previous mac notebooks. but i'm not computer designer so this is just me wondering, not saying i know better

2. Queso macrumors G4

The simple answer is that the battery can be larger, because it only needs one layer of casing rather than the usual two, and the laptop case design doesn't need to incorporate a compartment to put it in.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You know, Apple has a lovely explanation of all this, all on their website...

It does save some thickness since there is probably less protection for the battery itself, but it doesn't 'appear' to be any less than what was there for the removable ones.

Plus, Apple made these batteries intelligent. Each cell is monitored for voltage and current to ensure optimal charging/usage etc etc.

5. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

ah, yes. i actually just watched the video on apple's site about the battery. I didn't hit me that there are mechanisms to release the battery and all that stuff. It's also great to know that the battery is actually very easy to remove, aside from there being those pesky tri wing security screws