Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I still have the 3G, and it runs so horrible now. I know when I first got it, it ran fine and there was hardly any slowdown. Is this Apple's doing with all of the updates? Do they gradually make it run slower so it'll incline us to buy the newer products? If I install a previous version, will that fix the problem? Any help would be appreciated!

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
they dont "make it run slower"

They add new features to their iOS and older hardware has a much harder time keeping up

People on this very forum was crying that apple wouldnt allow multi-tasking and background wallpaper on 3G

I think its safe to say those people now know that apple was right, and its because the iphone 3G has inferior hardware.

No different then buying an old computer and putting vista on it or whatever, it simply is out-dated and doesnt have the hardware to support all the new features.

Its been a good phone for 2 years, time for you to upgrade :)

UpDownAeroplane

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
they dont "make it run slower"

They add new features to their iOS and older hardware has a much harder time keeping up

People on this very forum was crying that apple wouldnt allow multi-tasking and background wallpaper on 3G

I think its safe to say those people now know that apple was right, and its because the iphone 3G has inferior hardware.

No different then buying an old computer and putting vista on it or whatever, it simply is out-dated and doesnt have the hardware to support all the new features.

Its been a good phone for 2 years, time for you to upgrade :)

exactly. apple isn't trying to force you to buy a new phone, it's just that the iphone 3g is really starting to show it's age.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I understand that. What I don't understand is why they include these new features when the phone can't run them smoothly. Also 2 years is not THAT old. Anyway it doesn't really matter to me because I'm getting the iPhone 4 when they become readily available. I was just curious, that's all.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I understand that. What I don't understand is why they include these new features when the phone can't run them smoothly. Also 2 years is not THAT old. Anyway it doesn't really matter to me because I'm getting the iPhone 4 when they become readily available. I was just curious, that's all.

If they had said "NO ios4 on iphone 3G" there would be so many people ranting

so they limited some features and did the best they could to get iOS4 on 3G phones. But unfortunately its just old hardware. well over 3 years old (it uses the same hardware the original did)

So to pacify some 3G users they allowed 3G to get iOS4 in limited fashion. Best advice would be to downgrade until you get the new iphone

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

If apple didn't allow the 3g to gain any new features from iOS4 then people really would be ranting that apple is trying to force them to upgrade. Also if i remember right the processor in the 3g is the same as the 2g, so it's actually 3 year old hardware and that is old as far as technology goes which would explain why it seems so much slower.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
If apple didn't allow the 3g to gain any new features from iOS4 then people really would be ranting that apple is trying to force them to upgrade. Also if i remember right the processor in the 3g is the same as the 2g, so it's actually 3 year old hardware and that is old as far as technology goes which would explain why it seems so much slower.

you almost said my response word for word :p

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
It's the same reason Office 2008 can make an 8 core mac pro lag to death.

The iPhone 3G is fully capable of having backgrounds and REAL multitasking without any lag. Less powerful phones could do it, and were designed TO do it. My "free" sony TM506 can do it, **** with backgrounder and winterboard or whatever, you could do it on an ORIGINAL iphone.

It's the same reason why Safari 5 takes about 30 seconds to open CNN on my G4 when other browsers could do it in 10 seconds.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/19.752; U; en) Presto/2.6.25)

ozzyman500 said:
Apple wants you to buy a new one.

Sad but true....

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
We have two 3G iPhones in the house, one of them being jailbroken and one of them being upgraded for the new iOS. Both are running slow, but whereas iOS is naturally slow on 3G, my jailbroken 3G's speed has more to do with having five apps in a row and similar tweaks. I stayed with a much earlier software.

The trick is not to upgrade until you are desperate for the new features or safety additions of a new OS.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
It's the same reason Office 2008 can make an 8 core mac pro lag to death.

The iPhone 3G is fully capable of having backgrounds and REAL multitasking without any lag. Less powerful phones could do it, and were designed TO do it. My "free" sony TM506 can do it, **** with backgrounder and winterboard or whatever, you could do it on an ORIGINAL iphone.

It's the same reason why Safari 5 takes about 30 seconds to open CNN on my G4 when other browsers could do it in 10 seconds.

dont bring your crappy sony flip phone into the conversation lol

you have no clue what your talking about. The OS on your sony phone and the OS on an iphone is like a billion times more intensive on the iphone. Your sony phone used a crappy WAP browser.

You cant compare a dumbed down flip phone OS to the iOS.

Also I jailbroke my original iphone for backgrounds, and it was cool at first. But I ran into so many problems and my battery life went to HELL.

The 3G was running a weak 412mhz cpu and 128 mb of ram. iOS 4 simply requires more hardware to fully utilize the features properly. Sure apple could put multi-tasking on the 3G. But then people would wine EVEN MORE about how slow their 3G is.

iOS is not just some flip phone operating system. It requires computer-like hardware to run properly.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I ran backgrounder on my original iPod Touch with no problems whatsoever. Yep, backgrounds and all.

http://www.access-company.com/products/mobile_solutions/netfrontmobile/browser/index.html

The browser on the Sony is capable of loading "full web pages", not a "crappy WAP browser." However, it IS a dumbphone, and I've said this before. My point is a measly little dumbphone can multitask (run internet radio, browse internet, and whatever else at the same time), where an iPhone 3G apparently can't.

It's purely a software limitation. I'm a big fan of desktop OS X, but I think the iOS is a kludged together mess that is getting worse with every revision. It's as if Microsoft took Windows 98 and threw 7's UI on top of it.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I ran backgrounder on my original iPod Touch with no problems whatsoever. Yep, backgrounds and all.

http://www.access-company.com/products/mobile_solutions/netfrontmobile/browser/index.html

The browser on the Sony is capable of loading "full web pages", not a "crappy WAP browser." However, it IS a dumbphone, and I've said this before. My point is a measly little dumbphone can multitask (run internet radio, browse internet, and whatever else at the same time), where an iPhone 3G apparently can't.

It's purely a software limitation. I'm a big fan of desktop OS X, but I think the iOS is a kludged together mess that is getting worse with every revision. It's as if Microsoft took Windows 98 and threw 7's UI on top of it.

My point was just that I'm sure if apple took the exact OS from the Sony phone and put it on an iPhone 3G. It would run flawlessly.

But you and I both know the iOS is alot more demanding and robust then that. But apple made the iOS4 with the 3GS/4 specs in mind. They didn't base it on a 412 MHz CPU and 128mb of ram.

I'm glad they didn't. What if every iOS they came out with worked flawless on every iPhone they ever released? Then we wouldn't be taking advantage of the new hardware we have on the newer devices. Sometimes you just gotta phase out old hardware.

Even though it's still a fully capable device. They simply got to phase it out and plan for future devices.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Why wouldn't you want them to optimize the code to that extent? If it ran ok on an iphone 3 it'd run REALLY FAST on an iphone 4 :)

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
My 2nd gen Touch was terribly slow after the iOS4 update, so I downgraded to 3.1.2, jailbroke, and am now multitasking with now slowdowns whatsoever. I suggest you might do the same with your 3G.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Why wouldn't you want them to optimize the code to that extent? If it ran ok on an iphone 3 it'd run REALLY FAST on an iphone 4 :)

I see what your saying. But in a perfect world companies would support old devices. Unfortunately they have to make money.

And putting code into an OS to run on old hardware and then roll out free updates for it just isn't very smart as a business.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
wana know why jailbrealing makes everything run slower? it doesnt. the stuff that you install like what apple installs makes it run slower.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Always do a clean install when you upgrade OS. Or do a clean install when you feel it's running slow.

- back up everything by pen and paper or email.
- Go to Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings

- Once restored to factory settings, DO NOT sync from backup. Tell iTunes it's a NEW iPhone.

- Replace all your settings from what you wrote down.

This method will clear all the crap stored in memory that's causing your iPhone to run slow.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
In the cell phone world the iPhone 3G is ancient. If you installed iOS4 on the 3G, it's going to be slow. It was optimized for the iPhone 4, which is different hardware, so to run it on the 3G there are going to be sacrifices made. It's nice for Apple to do it but I'm not even going to attempt it.

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
unless you bought a 3g late-season you are eligible for an upgrade to the iphone 4.. i agree, it made the 3g a LOT slower, but like you and most people i'm upgrading to the 4, of course I wanted backgrounds and multitasking, who doesn't, but it would have killed the 3g, folders is reason enough alone to upgrade to ios4 though on a 3g imo and it's still faster then the HTC phone it replaces

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.