Why does the leopard dock suck so hard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by decksnap, May 1, 2009.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Just noticing recently after my Leopard drive died and I am back to Tiger... why is the Leopard dock so choppy compared to previous OS's's? I have never met a Leopard dock as smooth as a Tiger dock, on any system.

I manage a lot of systems, and have noticed that, without fail, the smoothest, most buttery dock is on the eMacs, running Tiger. Much smoother than Power Macs or Mac Pros. Strange indeed.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I like it on Leopard. If you want, you can turn off the 3D with a Terminal command. Not exactly the same, but fairly close.

3. eMagine macrumors regular

eMagine

Leopard runs pretty buttery smooth on my Mac Pro. I've never had a lag.

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Please define "smooth" vs. "choppy". Are you talking about the zoom effect? In that case I see no reason why better hardware would not have a direct correlation with "smoothness"...

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Mines like silk, no issues.

Can foul up the whole works!

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Can't say that I have any issues with mine either

I guess we need more clarification

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Running Leopard on iMac G4. The dock is working acceptably, a bit slow when viewing my Downloads folder in Grid view but what to expect from such an outdated Mac :eek:

8. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I prefer the look of the Tiger dock. I really wish their was a way to get my Leopard dock to look exactly like the ol' Tiger dock, but from what I've seen there isn't. :(

9. Matek macrumors 6502a

It's kind of like saying "feature X is smoother on Windows XP compared to Vista". Of course it's better on an older version of the OS. The newer one has more features, more eyecandy and consequently requires more powerful hardware a.k.a. works slower on less powerful hardware.

10. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

OK let me clarify - when you run your mouse through the dock, the magnification seems to be less fluid visually. Like the Tiger dock is rendering a lot more frames per second.

The hardware should have a correlating affect on the dock smoothness, but it really doesn't. They must have really retooled how the dock is rendered in Leopard because it is just a lot less fluid.

11. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Hm. Mine is very smooth and it never jitters or gets jumpy.. I've since switched to the 2D dock just because of my personal prefs but magnification was never an issue.

12. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I've got a 2.4ghz Macbook Alu and there is no lag or jerkyness whatsoever on the dock itself. Opening in "fan" view a folder is also perfectly smooth, however, opening my Applications folder in grid view looks crap and *is* very jerky and not smooth to open. I'm yet to see a Mac where opening a large folder in grid does look good.

13. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

when i have 3D dock on, and don't disable beamsync, then enable from terminal, it is very sluggish. When I have 2D dock on, or do the terminal command to turn on beamsync after disabling form quartz debug, it's veryy smooth.

But when I'm doing a time machine backup, or there's an adium animation going on, the magnification and genie effect are choppy, always. The cpu is only being utilized 25% during the backup. Coverflow and cooliris are always very smooth for me.

I've heard many people with older powerbooks say leopard runs smooth as butter for them, but soo many people with newer nvidia imac/macbooks say that it's choppy as hell. More than likely, it is the poor nvidia drivers that are being replaced with 10.5.7. Let's hope the new drivers will fix the poor performance issues.

14. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

This should be linked to the thread of unintentionally humorous thread titles.

15. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Hmmm. Well, I have magnification turned off, so I really don't know / could care less how smooth it is.
    And yes, the opening of a stack in grip format is choppy, but I tend to prefer list view anyway.

So, while this may or may not be a common issue and may be entirely undetectable to some and very much so to other, I throw my opinion in the "I don't give a sh*t" folder.

16. MotleyPete macrumors regular

I've got a Mac pro and an iMac here, both are running leopard and neither have any "choppy" dock problems.

17. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Same here. I think magnifying the dock icons is extremely annoying; I turned that off immediately.

18. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

I haven't seen anyone else's dock here so I couldn't tell you how smooth they are. ;)

But, a leopard dock just isn't as smooth as a tiger's, at least the ones I've come in contact with, and that's a lot. :D

But seriously, it's not a big deal, and I wasn't talking about slowdown or that type of choppiness. It's a subtle thing, but it's definitely there! It's like the difference between a 30 fps video and a 20 fps video. They both get to the end at the same time, but there's less frames displayed in between.

19. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

I keep my dock on the side, so it doesn't have the *gorgeous* 3D effect, but I actually can navigate that way.
    SG :apple:

20. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Dock magnification is extremely smooth on my shiny new iMac.

21. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Yeah, I keep my Dock on the right side, and I'm running Tiger. I prefer the aesthetics of Tiger overall, but I'm a fan of the new 3D Dock in Leopard. And it is so confusing as to why Apple made the Dock in Leopard turn so ugly when placed on the side. I know it's supposed to be like a platform on the bottom and it wouldn't make sense to have icons "magnetized" to the side platform, but god, the vertical Leopard Dock is horribly ugly. They could have at least kept the glass Tiger dock for the sides if they weren't going to use the 3D platform.