Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
After using the iOS 10 beta for a few days, I've realised something. Why does the lock screen (time displayed only) even exist, when the new widgets view (swipe left) is better in every single way?

When the phone is unlocked, the widgets view should display instead, since it also contains the time (and a whole lot more).

Perhaps notifications can appear above the widgets as they arrive (with a green outline?), so that the lockscreen can appear clean and simple at all times.

Sure, there are some downsides but I think the widgets screen looks a lot more 'alive' compared to the empty lock screen.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Notifications appearing above widgets? Making you have to scroll just to see a widget if you have a decent amount of notifications? No thanks. Current system is good.
Widgets view layout but with notifications replacing the widgets. Viewing widgets requires a 3D Touch somewhere (maybe left of the time)?

Don't see why two lock screens are required, seems like Apple took the easy option rather than the clever/"wow" option.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Widgets view layout but with notifications replacing the widgets. Viewing widgets requires a 3D Touch somewhere (maybe left of the time)?

Don't see why two lock screens are required, seems like Apple took the easy option rather than the clever/"wow" option.

What if someone wants to just see the time and not get distracted by notifications or widgets?

Reactions: MisterMillz

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That sounds even clumsier and not very good at all. Also not all devices are 3D Touch. Maybe 3-5 years from now when the majority are using a 3D Touch devices, but today it makes no sense. A small swipe right to see widgets from the notification page isn't hard and your suggestion doesn't exactly make things easier.

Reactions: 0928001

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
The actual state is clumsy too. At lockscreen, you swipe right to open notification, but in unlocked state, you just tap it. It's an unelegant design that creates a little bit of unnecessary cognitive load. Same task, two contexts and two different ways that work only in each context.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The actual state is clumsy too. At lockscreen, you swipe right to open notification, but in unlocked state, you just tap it. It's an unelegant design that creates a little bit of unnecessary cognitive load. Same task, two contexts and two different ways that work only in each context.
One is locked (where you don't necessarily want an inadvertent tap to activate something) and one is unlocked (where you are basically focused on your device and thus less likely to do something inadvertently).

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I get that. Still, it COULD be simplified and consolidated to just one way - either a swipe or 3D Touch. Maybe that will come in the future when all devices have 3D Touch.

Reactions: SuperKerem

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
That sounds even clumsier and not very good at all. Also not all devices are 3D Touch. Maybe 3-5 years from now when the majority are using a 3D Touch devices, but today it makes no sense. A small swipe right to see widgets from the notification page isn't hard and your suggestion doesn't exactly make things easier.
Thanks for your opinion that having a single unified lockscreen (as has been the case for the last 8 years) is "clumsy". There's no point having a conversation if you're going to defend Apple's every single move. Not all of Apple's decisions are perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement.

I've noticed that whenever someone criticises
anything about iOS or suggests an improvement, you always attempt to disregard and disprove their suggestion whilst simultaneously being oblivious to the positive aspects of the suggestion at hand. So I'm not really surprised :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1470179770][/doublepost]
I get that. Still, it COULD be simplified and consolidated to just one way - either a swipe or 3D Touch. Maybe that will come in the future when all devices have 3D Touch.
I still think that widgets and notifications can be put on a single lock screen - there really is no need for two!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for your opinion that having a single unified lockscreen (as has been the case for the last 8 years) is "clumsy". There's no point having a conversation if you're going to defend Apple's every single move. Not all of Apple's decisions are perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement.

anything about iOS or suggests an improvement, you always attempt to disregard and disprove their suggestion whilst simultaneously being oblivious to the positive aspects of the suggestion at hand. So I'm not really surprised :rolleyes:

I'm not "just defending Apple" or "oblivious to positive aspects". I take both sides into thought before I reply. Unlike most people around here who just hate because it's not "their way" and can't see the other side. Your suggestion just doesn't provide any real benefit. It doesn't make anything easier or better than it currently is in iOS 10. It's mearly a change for the sake of change. A change that also applies to only a small portion of iOS devices. Cuts out all iPads and is only available for one generation of phones (soon to be two.)

Current lock screen is consistent. You know what will be on screen when you wake the screen. Notifications, widgets left, camera right. Your suggestion would change with each screen wake. Sometimes you would see notifications and then sometimes you would see widgets. That's not consistent.

And again comes back to not all devices would be able to 3D Touch "left of the time" to reveal widgets, like you suggested. Which also again, isn't easier or better than just a simple swipe. It's would be more or less just a novelty of "look what 3D Touch can do".

Changing it would bring huge pushback. Just look how upset people have been getting over removing "Swipe to Unlock".

I give credit to suggestions that are well thought out and would actually make an improvement for the majority. This on the other hand is just not one of them. IMO.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I would kind of like that. But I think Apple will soon make the widgets page the actual home screen. With all the changes they've made to it in ios10, that's what it looks like to me.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
They will also add tutorial screen pointing to the widgets pane in lockscreen as most people won't find it without it.

Reactions: -BigMac-

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
anything about iOS or suggests an improvement, you always attempt to disregard and disprove their suggestion whilst simultaneously being oblivious to the positive aspects of the suggestion at hand. So I'm not really surprised

If you find yourself about to post a "YOU DISAGREE WITH MY PET THEORY SO YOU MUST BLINDLY LOVE APPLE!!!1!" you might consider talking a deep breath or going for a walk instead. Attempting to frame someone as some kind of fanboy because they point out the obvious flaws in your poorly thought ideas is not, and never has been, a strong argument.

As for
(as has been the case for the last 8 years)
How is progress ever to be made if the bar is "it's been that way forever"?

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
How is progress ever to be made if the bar is "it's been that way forever"?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Change just for the sake of change is never good. It isn't progress, it's overcomplication.
[doublepost=1470212299][/doublepost]
They will also add tutorial screen pointing to the widgets pane in lockscreen as most people won't find it without it.
I guess the days where Apple products were so intuitive that 4 year olds could use them are gone.
[doublepost=1470212950][/doublepost]
If you find yourself about to post a "YOU DISAGREE WITH MY PET THEORY SO YOU MUST BLINDLY LOVE APPLE!!!1!" you might consider talking a deep breath or going for a walk instead. Attempting to frame someone as some kind of fanboy because they point out the obvious flaws in your poorly thought ideas is not, and never has been, a strong argument.
Wait a sec, weren't you and lagwagon the ones spamming threads criticising the new unlock sequence, telling people to "get used to it"? Well, you were simply wrong, because a few days later Apple added the old sequence back into the OS.

Now, as for the "take a deep breath" bit, quite frankly, reading your post you once again seem agitated. You're new to the forums, so don't ruin our friendly community with your saltiness.

If you recall, I did quite literally mention that there are some downsides to my suggestion. Pointing out someone is a fanboy isn't "an argument", it's me trying to end the argument when I realise the person I'm talking to is closed-minded, unfriendly and unnecessarily critical.
[doublepost=1470213134][/doublepost]
I'm not "just defending Apple" or "oblivious to positive aspects". I take both sides into thought before I reply. Unlike most people around here who just hate because it's not "their way" and can't see the other side. Your suggestion just doesn't provide any real benefit. It doesn't make anything easier or better than it currently is in iOS 10. It's mearly a change for the sake of change. A change that also applies to only a small portion of iOS devices. Cuts out all iPads and is only available for one generation of phones (soon to be two.)

Current lock screen is consistent. You know what will be on screen when you wake the screen. Notifications, widgets left, camera right. Your suggestion would change with each screen wake. Sometimes you would see notifications and then sometimes you would see widgets. That's not consistent.

And again comes back to not all devices would be able to 3D Touch "left of the time" to reveal widgets, like you suggested. Which also again, isn't easier or better than just a simple swipe. It's would be more or less just a novelty of "look what 3D Touch can do".

Changing it would bring huge pushback. Just look how upset people have been getting over removing "Swipe to Unlock".

I give credit to suggestions that are well thought out and would actually make an improvement for the majority. This on the other hand is just not one of them. IMO.
Fair enough, but iOS 10 is still in beta, the change isn't set in stone just yet. My suggestion was formed in less than 30 seconds, it is of course not perfect but merely a starting point for a conversation.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Change just for the sake of change is never good. It isn't progress, it's overcomplication.
[doublepost=1470212299][/doublepost]
I guess the days where Apple products were so intuitive that 4 year olds could use them are gone.
[doublepost=1470212950][/doublepost]
Wait a sec, weren't you and lagwagon the ones spamming threads criticising the new unlock sequence, telling people to "get used to it"? Well, you were simply wrong, because a few days later Apple added the old sequence back into the OS.

Now, as for the "take a deep breath" bit, quite frankly, reading your post you once again seem agitated. You're new to the forums, so don't ruin our friendly community with your saltiness.

If you recall, I did quite literally mention that there are some downsides to my suggestion. Pointing out someone is a fanboy isn't "an argument", it's me trying to end the argument when I realise the person I'm talking to is closed-minded, unfriendly and unnecessarily critical.
[doublepost=1470213134][/doublepost]
Fair enough, but iOS 10 is still in beta, the change isn't set in stone just yet. My suggestion was formed in less than 30 seconds, it is of course not perfect but merely a starting point for a conversation.
There wasn't anything broken with the iOS 6 and earlier design, yet that was changed and many people have been waiting for something like that (even though there are others who haven't been fond of the new design).

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Funny how you say this as an argument against another post, but your thread is exactly that. Lock screen isn't broken, don't fix it. And your suggestion is change just for the sake of change and over complicating things.

tomi03

Suspended
Dec 8, 2015
Genève. Suisse

See the irony, I think its noticeable even for u

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
See the irony, I think its noticeable even for u

There's no irony there...

I gave my opinion and reasons why the suggestion doesn't make sense. Has zero to do with defending Apple or not looking at it from the other side.

Key thing. Gave reason why. Unlike all the haters around these forums who just hate something Apple did just because it wasn't done "their way" and thinking that's what constructive criticism is.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
There wasn't anything broken with the iOS 6 and earlier design, yet that was changed and many people have been waiting for something like that (even though there are others who haven't been fond of the new design).
The iOS 6 and earlier design, layout and functionality was maintained up to iOS 9 in every single way, except the visuals were flattened.
[doublepost=1470262017][/doublepost]
Funny how you say this as an argument against another post, but your thread is exactly that. Lock screen isn't broken, don't fix it. And your suggestion is change just for the sake of change and over complicating things.
Exactly. My suggestion was to keep the core functionality of the existing lock screen. It was a starting-point suggestion on how to incorporate widgets, without creating a whole other (unnecessary) second lock screen.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The iOS 6 and earlier design, layout and functionality was maintained up to iOS 9 in every single way, except the visuals were flattened.
[doublepost=1470262017][/doublepost]
Exactly. My suggestion was to keep the core functionality of the existing lock screen. It was a starting-point suggestion on how to incorporate widgets, without creating a whole other (unnecessary) second lock screen.
That's not really the case though. The visuals were more than flattened, they were modified to where in a lot of cases there weren't even visual cues as to whether or not something was actionable or not--that's a change in design. There were plenty of things were changed here and there (recent apps/multitasking, notification center, spotlight, etc.) with some added (Control Center, swipe to go back action) and some removed (call rejection when phone is locked). Certainly different enough in iOS 7 already, with more changes in iOS 8 as well as iOS 9, and ways off from being maintained "in every single way".

Reactions: Costee

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
After using the iOS 10 beta for a few days, I've realised something. Why does the lock screen (time displayed only) even exist, when the new widgets view (swipe left) is better in every single way?

When the phone is unlocked, the widgets view should display instead, since it also contains the time (and a whole lot more).

Perhaps notifications can appear above the widgets as they arrive (with a green outline?), so that the lockscreen can appear clean and simple at all times.

Sure, there are some downsides but I think the widgets screen looks a lot more 'alive' compared to the empty lock screen.

Widgets are something I want to look at when I want to look at them. Notifications are alerts that I chose to be brought to my attention on the front lock screen.

Doesn't need to be an over complicated mess of crap I don't want. Apple has already thought this through and decided on what we see in the beta.

Lagwagon hit it on the head in his first couple of responses.

Reactions: Feenician

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
People have been swiping right to unlock for 10 years, trust me people will find it.

You'd be amazed how much stuff is NEVER discovered by so many people - Control Center, Swipe-to-to-back gesture, iPad gestures in general... not their fault, really, as gestures have low discoverability in general.

jamesin702

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2016

[doublepost=1470179770][/doublepost]
I still think that widgets and notifications can be put on a single lock screen - there really is no need for two!

well said. while i don't agree with getting rid of the lock screen, i do respect that some people might want to disable or customize it. they should have the option to do so. unfortunately, questioning apple's ways or the lack of customization features gets you branded a hater. ill never understand those who are against others having options to make their user experience better.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Current implementation of lock screen, widgets, and notifications are quite consistent. No need to fix it.

But Apple may borrow android design, incorporate certain widgets in lock screen and create a more informative and intuitive lock screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.