Why does the Mighty Mouse suck so much?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mroseneo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mroseneo macrumors member

I have the Wireless Mighty Mouse, and I have been using it for a while now.

I just hate how I have to clean it all the time. I don't know if my hands are extremely dirty or what, but I am sick and tired of cleaning this thing. I am going to go outside and smash it tomorrow. For $60 i shouldn't have to clean my mouse, it should get up and clean my house for me.

Anyone feel like me?

Any suggestions for a new mouse? I want a cheap bluetooth one with a scroll wheel that WORKS!

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

Can't go wrong with anything from Logitech. They have some cheap solutions that work, IMO, way better than the MM.

SCR

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. bigiffo macrumors member

Rub the trackball hard.

Remember: The mouse is mightier than logitech, or Mikkisoft

5. mroseneo thread starter macrumors member

That is the thing, I have to rub the scroll ball and clean it all the time. I just tried cleaning it for about a half an hour, but it still won't work. I think the time/money cost for this thing is too high if you have to clean it too.

For $60 this mouse needs to go do MY laundry, not the other way around.

6. emdotdee macrumors regular

emdotdee

I've been using a Mighty Mouse with my new iMac and not had one issue with it (I used to use a Wacom tablet with pen instead of a normal mouse)

Maybe you're just a bit dirty? or overly obsessed with cleanliness, OCD anyone?? :rolleyes:

7. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Aside from it's shape and lack of buttons, it's an average mouse with above average scrolling capabilities. That being said, I'll never go back to it after upgrading to a Wireless Logitech MX Revolution, even though I think my Revolution may be slightly broken.

And you can keep your MM clean by washing your hands now and then. :D

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I love my Mighty Mice. When the ball needs cleaning, I open it up and clean it.

9. ljhatlga macrumors newbie

I think I see your problem: Apparently, you haven't learned to satisfactorily customize your mouse in "Preferences." For example, I have my wireless mouse doing my laundry as I type this message. Add a simple right-click, and it's folding my undies.

Although I wouldn't mind a software upgrade that includes a programmable death-ray function.

10. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

How do you open it?

11. Schizophrenic macrumors member

12. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I got my MM in September when I got my iMac; I have had to clean it once. I spray iKlean on a rag and run the roller over it. Nothing more. Simple.

13. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I have seen pictures of how to do this; I would rather just buy a new one. It's like defusing a time bomb. Props to you.

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I didn't care for the Mighty Mouse at first but it has grown on me and I really like it now. I too was a bit confused by the terminology used for the "secondary" button but once that point was clear, it has done all that I need of it. I do use that black cloth every few days so hopefully that will keep the track ball relatively debris free.

15. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I use a small Swiss Army Knife to pry open the gray, oval piece on the underside of the mouse. After that, it's pretty simple.

16. Tracer macrumors 6502

Get the MX Revolution.

Bluetooth is coming soon, but they have a Wireless one now if you can't wait.

Tracer

17. Aj2488 macrumors regular

i just use screen wipes to clean mine. works great, just don't get the scroll wheel to wet... that tends to slow it down for a few seconds.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I would have to say the OP needs to wash his hands more often, I have had the MM since last August and I clean it with a damp cloth only because I want to, it never clogs or gets dirty and the scroll wheel is always smooth.

19. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Excellent advice... keeping clean is easier then getting clean where the MM is concerned.:apple::cool:

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Cleaning mine is the arduous task of turning it upside down, blowing it with air, and rotating the ball. Solves any scrolling problems. Best mouse EVER.

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Absolutely awful mouse. Finally settled on MX Air.

22. Macjames macrumors 6502a

i bought a wirless mighty mouse last year and i have had no issues with it all, its been fanatasic. It does get a little dirty but not much, a quick clean once a month and its good as new.

Oh, and my boss says i have OCD!

23. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

you do realise that if you call apple the'll send you a new one?

24. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Logitech ships with a control center that can cause system lockups. This means that in order to specify key bindings beyond expose key bindings, you will have to spend another $20 for a third party driver.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=448177

25. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I have no problems with my Mighty Mouse, but I do have two Logitech V270 Bluetooth mice and I love them. Has been superseded by the V470, which should be equally good or better. :cool: