Why does the nVidia 330 turn on when I just download a document(or anything!)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vyruz Reaper, May 29, 2010.

1. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

While using google chrome on the i5 15'' MBP, whenever I DL something and the download bar shows up on chrome, my MBP switches to the 330 and stays there(im using gfxcardstatus to track everything). When I close the dl bar it doesnt go back to intel.

While when I watch 720p HD Full screen video on youtube, it switches to 330, then when I am finished and I close it, it goes back to intel.

I have been quite dissapointed with battery life. I was NOT expecting 8-9 hours bout def. 6-7 hours.

I am getting less than 4(i am not going by the indicator but by a time set on my phone)

thanks!

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...try a different activity monitor and see if you get the same results = sorry I'm probably not much help...

3. patrixl Suspended

I get the same - Chrome must be using one of the APIs (OpenGL, CoreAnimation, etc, I don't remember the whole list) that triggers the use of the dedicated card, just to draw that little arrow that fades in and out when you start a download, and to draw the download bar.

And it'll keep those in memory until you quit Chrome.

Patrix.

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Chrome is one f the apps that triggers nVidia GPU...

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's because the download bar is animated. The Chrome developers have said they will not fix it; it's up to Apple to optimize the graphics switching routine.

6. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

but here is the thing, when I watch youtube videos, or stream videos, It stays on intel HD grpahics until i maximize it. Once i exit ful screen mode it goes back to intel graphics, without exiting chrome. Its really annoying dl'ing stuff with chrome. Most of my other use has been pretty good.

7. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

it is annoying (i use chrome too) but we just have to wait it out. Apple will optimise its graphics switching in the future. remember that this is the first time apple has implemented this, so there are bound to be some issues.

8. frytup macrumors newbie

Wait it out? No, thanks. I just turn off the nvidia card manually using this...

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/

9. Yimbie macrumors member

It's best to just have a manual switcher. The automatic switching that Apple has is a joke.

10. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Or...just use a different browser, one where they WILL code it to optimize the usage of the card and not use unneeded graphics acceleration. I know that seems a drastic measure, but there's really nothing wrong with the way Apple has it set up, given Firefox, Opera, Safari all seem to be able to get it done no problem. Personally I find the developers' arrogance and refusal to address it insulting, which is why I don't use Chrome, no matter how much faster it is at rendering.

And Bill Gates, couldn't help but notice your sig. Why? Given the Wikipedia article you linked to talks about "Cellular antennae"?

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You obviously didn't read what was written under the heading. ;) It's a different type of "cellular" antennae. The term "antennae" only applies to biology, not electronics, which have "antennas."

12. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Reason I asked is twofold.

1: I don't count Wikipedia as a credible reference site given anyone can edit the entries at will; and

2: Antennae is the Latin-based plural of the singular word antenna. Speaking strictly in English usage, antennae is used in biology exclusively; but in electronics, either antennae or antennas are acceptable.

Strikes back to the old discussion about "colour" vs. "color", kinda.

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Wikipedia is only one source online that differentiates between the two. I could be wrong, but know that I have never seen the word "antennae" used to describe antennas in a non-biological context outside of forums such as these. I'm fairly certain that using it in any other context is a misappropriation of the word. Colour vs color is a different matter altogether since that's just the Queens's English vs. American English, and the words are fully interchangeable.