Why does the purchase of PDANet remove MyWi?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by braddick, Jan 31, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I have pretty good luck with MyWi but I am in an area of work where it doesn't always work.
    I thought I'd try PDANet and see if it'll work easier/better. I also like the way PDANet claims to hide any detection of tethering.
    With that said, I begin to download the application via Cydia and notice downloading PDANet also will remove MyWi.
    I backed out of the confirmation and didn't download it.

I'm curious why this would happen?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

MyWi Developer had PDAnet marked as "incompatible" in their Cydia package structure so Cydia will remove PdaNet when MyWi is installed.

now, why they did that? well only the developers knows, he must had his reasons.

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Good question, but is there any reason you need both programs?

I've been using PDAnet for a long time, and haven't tried MyWi, but now you have me wondering why a person needs both and why they aren't compatible with each other.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

^Don't need both. MyWi works like 90% of the time. I wanted to test PDANet (they offer a trial period before you must commit) and see if it runs smoother.

I just didn't want to loose MyWi while I was doing so but I suppose I could simply delete it- try PDANet and then add MyWi back if PDANet didn't work out.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Something came loose?

6. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Completely different meanings, and both are easy words to spell.

Anyway, I had MyWi on my phone while PDAnet was on it in the past, but I never used it. I had a two week trial, and it expired so I deleted it. Maybe something came up that they had to enforce only one was on the phone at a time.