Why does the Smart Keyboard have such a terrible viewing angle?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mrklaw, Jul 10, 2017.

1. mrklaw macrumors 68000

i recently replaced my Smart Cover with a Smart Keyboard (iPad Pro 10.5). The keyboard is really nice.

However when I'm using it in 'stand' mode with the keyboard tucked behind the screen, the iPad is way too vertical. It's both slightly uncomfortable to watch things at that angle, and just makes me worried that it'll fall flat on it's face at any moment

Is there any reason Apple couldn't have made it the same angle as the Smart Cover? It's honestly almost unusable in this configuration (especially on a back seat tray table which I use a lot on trains)

2. jcborden macrumors member

I noticed this when trying the ASK in store and it was one of the reasons that stopped my buying it. The iPad felt like it would tip forwards at any moment and land face down.

3. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

Agreed, would not use my ipad like this and always have the keyboard layed out. I actually want the screen to tilt forward more when using the keyboard. Would be nice if Apple offered more viewing angle options rather than a “one way suits all” approach, but that’s not Apples way!

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

It's because it doesn't have a proper hinge—otherwise it would be more prone to tipping over. Hopefully someday Apple will develop a great keyboard for the iPad.