Why does the Sony Smartwatch 3 have a 2 day battery life?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wiesenlooser, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Ok ok - I know the Sony Smartwatch 3 literally looks like ****.

But otherwise - it is technically better than the Apple Watch. It packs GPS tracking AND it has two days of battery life.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/28/sony-smartwatch-3-review-screen-battery-android-wear

It also packs a transflective lcd display, meaning the screen can be always on :eek: on one hand it is kind of worrisome that a sony watch performs better , on the other hand it also means that it is technically feasable to get 2 - 3 days of battery life.

2. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Who knows?

Sony could have implemented a bigger battery (no idea what mAh battery Apple Watch has), more energy efficient parts, better optimised software etc etc.

*shrug*

3. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

4. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

It does have around 10% more volume than the 42mm Apple Watch, so extra battery could be part of it.

5. k3ith macrumors regular

k3ith

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Screen resolution, processor power, size of battery, etc. many factors involved in battery life.

On another note, LOLs at the bragging about a micro USB port. With the number of iPhones and iPads sold, Lightning is about as standard in stores. And a MagSafe adapter seems a lot less annoying than plugging in a USB cable. Finding the end of my iPhone and iPad cables on the floor is tricky since I have those and my MBA charger all plugged into the same outlet. A MagSafe dock sounds awesome.

7. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Because it's an iPad Mini sitting on your wrist.

8. iPad Air macrumors regular

Naturally, when a device has LESS features, it draws LESS power.

This is a jab on the Samsung device.:p

9. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

18 hours max is going to KILL this battery in a few weeks of 100% discharging. No Solar? No winding in motion charging? Shhhheeeesh !