Why does the USA not use the 24 hour clock?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Happybunny, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Happybunny macrumors 68000

With just four numbers, you can given the exact time. (no AM/PM)
    It's the international norm.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because we're not sheeple and don't feel obligated to follow the rest of the lemmings.

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

It's not "normal". It's an option. Some people choose to use it, some don't.

4. simsaladimbamba

The USA still uses the imperial system for measuring temperature, weight and length, why would they need a standard?

5. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

it is the international norm.

you can't really expect anything useful out of Americans, they don't even use the metric system

lol

hey Billy Bob Job, how heavy is that gallon of milk?. gee, I don't know?
    hey Jean Luc Blanchard, how heavy is that litre of milk? we'll one kilo you silly goose (scene ends with two men kissing)

:facepalm:

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The American military does use a 24 Hr. Clock.

7. iStudentUK, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

We use both here.

Denisty of milk = 1.003073 - 0.000179T - 0.000368F + 0.00374N
    where T = temperature; F = percentage fat; N = percentage solids (non-fat). :D

But I get your point, 1L milk is practically 1kg. I studied chemistry as an undergrad, so I'm very pro-metric. Hell, give me the temperature in kelvin please!

8. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Milk is actually more dense than water (which the metric system uses as standard; 1 litre water = 1 kg water), thus the milk weighs more. This means one litre of milk does not equate to one kilogram of milk.

9. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Don't be pedantic. You can't even estimate without the metric system.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Personally, I prefer the 12-hour system despite being one of those madcap Europeans.

I also use a mixture of Imperial and metric depending on the situation, to my occasional bafflement.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

What does this mean?

I travel to two dozen countries outside the US very year and I rarely see 24 hour clocks.

12. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

You must travel to 24 different countries than I do. Aren't all other countries, by default, outside the US?

:sigh:

Most digital clocks I see throughout Western/Central/Eastern Europe are 24-hour based. Scandinavia as well. Through French-Indochina as well (when I did see a public digital clock).

However, I don't get to the South American countries, India, China or Japan that often.

----------

ISO 8601

:facepalm:

13. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I have a 0 Kelvin Atom, am I god?

14. wpotere Guest

Really? I lived in Germany for 4 years and traveled most of Europe and they all used the 24 hour system. I also traveled most of the middle east and it was the same there.

Americans fight change. In the 70's we tired to switch to the metric system and it was ignored by everyone. People simply resist change. I have used both and prefer the 24 hour system as well as the metric system to what we currently have. It is a lot easier.

15. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

All hail the Morphing Dragon! :eek:

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's really not easier in the US. Try telling someone you'll meet them at 1600. Odds are you're going to waste even more time explaining that you use the 24-hour clock because "it's easier" to explain this every time rather than say "I'll meet you at 4." Or try asking for 30 liters of gas at the gas station. If the gas attendant asks, just say "Oh it's easy... just multiply by 0.264 to get gallons."

Use whatever time or measurement system that your audience is used to.

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Most of the rest of the world went through the transition over time. It's a much better system, the US will change eventually. The imperial system is ludicrous, I wish it would die out completely here, but it lingers on.

18. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I also have a gun which de materializes people. It shoots jets of fluorosulfonic acid.

Or does that not count? :D

[​IMG]

19. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Maybe because 90% of American wouldn't know how to use it.

Yes....I went there.

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That's nine-tenths, incidentally.

21. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I want 9/10s of America, Every Citizens body apart from their brain.

I want to stuff them into perfect rectangles, their brains jam up the grinder blades....

22. wpotere Guest

You're right, it isn't easier. :rolleyes: Gotta love Americans aversion to learning something new. It may not be easier to you, but to me and many others that have taken the time to learn it, the metric system makes more sense and is much easier to use.

I can go out right now and ask a multitude of people what temperature that water boils and most will have no clue. So what is easier? 100 degree celsius or 212 fahrenheit?

If you look at it as a whole, it is a lost easier to understand over what we currently use. As for the time, it does take getting used to but with in a few days you easily adapt.

23. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I'm with Jaffa Cake on this one...

To use the 24 hr clock, I ignore the first one (or two), subtract 2 from the next number (If it goes to zero, I then add a one back in front and then if the number doesn't make sense just assume it's an 11. 'Last Orders' in old money)

Ish times are much better. For example "Oooh, I don't know - how about 7'ish at the bar..."

24. miles01110, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012

miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Americans have enough to worry about.

Your country also probably sees metric in widespread use. If you see it every day of your life everywhere of course it will be easier. That's why Americans keep using miles, gallons, and Farenheit... because that's what we're used to. The system works fine, and there's no reason to change it.

Easier? If you grow up with learning that 100 C is water's boiling point, then that will be easier. If you grow up learning 212 F, that will be easier.

"The United States" seems to disagree, otherwise we would have switched a long time ago.

25. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I believe you would then legally own America, what with possession being nine-tenths of the law and everything.