Why Does the Westinghouse suck on my Mac Mini at Work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AndrewMRiv, Dec 4, 2013.

1. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Hi, at work my bosses have me using a Late 2012 Mac Mini which is great.

They have it plugged into a 33" Westinghouse display (I think it's a TV?)

Under resolutions settings while under "best for this display" and it looks nice but is a strange resolution and cuts off the bottom of photoshop.

When I switched it to 1080p (or any other suggested resolution, for that matter) the colors look horrid and there seems to be some lag.

What is the issue behind this? Is it just a bad tv?

Thank you.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Yes. Whether in the store or in use elsewhere, I've not seen a Westinghouse TV in action that I like. IMO they are probably the worst TV brand on the market. My daughter's roommate has one in their living room, the resolution is grainy and the colors are terrible with HD content.

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I really hope your job isn't a photoshop user being that your boss gave you a TV to use as a monitor. You need a real computer monitor, even a cheap no brand one will be better than a westinghouse TV for your purpose.

5. AndrewMRiv thread starter macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

It is a Westinghouse uw32s3pw

Aw, darn. I was afraid that would be so. I was excited to have this because I was told that it was a big monitor but the resolution is 1366 x 768 (so weird).

I'm a web designer, so I do use photoshop a lot =(. I used to bring in my Mid 2010 White MacBook to do the photoshop work on there since it had more ram and a better resolution than this, but that broke on me recently and I've been waiting on my new MacBook Pro 13" Retina. While waiting, I've had to do the photoshop work on here and it is sometimes a bit tough.

Thank you for all of your answers.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

That's the standard resolution for a 720p television. Unfortunately, it's totally unsuitable for Photoshop/design work. It's the same resolution as the 11" Macbook Air.

7. Giuly, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Demand a Dell UltraSharp U2713HM or similar.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

9. AndrewMRiv thread starter macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I agree with you. Thank you, I actually did not know the resolutions on those two devices! Never owned a MacBook Air and I don't watch much TV. It's good to know this stuff :).

I wish! If it were up to me that would be wonderful (that or the Thunderbolt display would be nice.) I'm even trying to work up the courage to ask for a RAM upgrade (it is currently at 4gb) and I am used to my 32gb RAM at home.

Heh, yeah. Finding out this was not a great TV choice as well makes me feel a bit bad since I bought a large Westinghouse TV for a family member a few years ago because of its low price. Oops!

Maybe if I can man up, I can ask for a better display. Otherwise, I just need to wait for my Retina MacBook Pro 13" to come in so I can photoshop on that beauty for a while.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

The cutting off of the bottom is due to overscan by the way.... play with the slider.