iPhone XS Max Why does the XS Max still require a big down payment T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tig Bitties, May 20, 2019.

1. Tig Bitties, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

Tig Bitties macrumors 68040

Tig Bitties

Just for fun, when on the T-Mobile website, logged into my account, it said I have an upgrade available, and I was just window shopping, and noticed only the iPhone XS Max requires a deposit down, but every other high end flagship phone does not.

- Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus = $0 down ( The entire flagship Samsung line was no deposit )
    - Samsung Galaxy Note 9 = $0 down
    - OnePlus 7 Pro = $0 down ( Both the 6T and 7 Pro $0 down )
    - Pixel 3 XL = $0 down ( all four Pixel 3 phones zero down )
    - LG G8 = $0 down
    - iPhone XS Max = $349 down
    - iPhone XS = $249 down
    - iPhone XR = $149 down
    - iPhone 8 Plus = $50 down

Was just curious why the iPhone's required a deposit, and none of the Android's do? I currently have the Pixel 3 XL, and very happy, not looking for an upgrade, was just paying my bill, and was seeing what's out there.

2. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I logged into my T-Mobile account a short time ago, and pretty much see the same thing. Although I can get the Xr for $0 down (that's the only 'new' iPhone I can get without a deposit).

Although I don't have an answer, I'm curious about their methodology regarding down payments. I'm sure it has something to do with keeping the monthly payments reasonable.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

4. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I figured that too had something to do with it.

5. Tig Bitties, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019

Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68040

Tig Bitties

I'm just curious I can get any high-end flagship Android phone like the $1,000+ Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256GB phone with $0 deposit. Or brand new LG G8 and Pixel 3 XL 128GB no money down.

But any Apple phone, even the cheaper Apple phones for $699 T-Mobile requires deposit.

So any flagship Android phone no deposit no down payment needed, but every iPhone even the cheap old ones require a deposit. Weird

Just for fun, I put the 1TB most expensive Galaxy S10 Plus ( $1499 ) in the cart on T-Mobile website, and it shows $0 down. And then I put the cheapest version of the iPhone XS Max ( $1099 ), the 64GB version, and it states need $349 deposit.

It's not a high price or credit thing, it's an Apple vs. Android issue with T-Mobile. Why does T-Mobile require a deposit on the cheaper $699 iPhone 8 Plus, but does not require any money down on the more expensive $1,000+ S10 Plus or Note 9.

6. chabig macrumors 603

So essentially the Android makers have to pay people to buy their phones and Apple doesn't. Makes sense.

7. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

8. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68040

Tig Bitties

Interesting.

Oh well I'm happy on my Pixel 3 XL I bought direct from Google last year. Really no phone out currently interests me. Probably wait for the Pixel 4 XL in October, if not that then holding onto my 3 XL till next year. I would maybe consider a iPhone 11 XS Max, but only if iOS 13 is a major revamp overhaul, as is right now, I think iOS sucks, and is a horrible operating system.

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Android phones also loose much more value once opened vs iPhones. This may factor in with people who buy them under contract and sell them. Not sure why people would do this but there are all kinds out there.

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

Like most Apple guys including myself, the ecosystem is everything, android doesn’t play well with Macs.

11. Tig Bitties, May 21, 2019

Tig Bitties

Good point, I don't own any Apple products. I build my custom gaming PCs for my home computers. But I suppose if I owned Apple stuff might be different.

12. Piazza331 macrumors newbie

People will ruin their credit to get 0 down phones and sell them. With iPhones having a higher resale value, they are the prime target. Putting down payments on them for all but the highest credit rating weeds out medium to low credit users buying them, and skipping out on the bill.

It unfortunately hurts those who want the phone with no malicious intent, but cell companies don’t like selling 3/4 iPhones and quickly being out several grand.

13. Tig Bitties, May 21, 2019

Tig Bitties

My point in creating the thread was more curious. I'm not really looking to buy an iPhone XS Max, I was just browsing and found it strange that all Apple phones required a down payment. And all Android phones do not, even the highest end $1,500 Android phone is $0 down. But the cheapest iPhone 8 has a deposit required.

Doesn't really matter to me I'm on my Pixel 3 XL which I bought and paid for outright direct from Google, I don't want to downgrade to an iPhone.

14. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

Because Android is worthless. :p

15. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

The iPhone (being the most popular/desirable in America) plays by a different set of rules. T-Mobile is only willing to finance $750 for any phone.

So even though the galaxy phones may have "sticker" prices higher than that, T-Mobile knows they're not really worth that. Hence the BOGO's etc, on those devices. Google needs to step their hardware game up before I would ever seriously consider them. The best overall value out there now is One Plus 7 Pro(non-T-Mobile version). It's the only Android phone I would even remotely consider.

T-Mobile also know as others have mentioned that the down payments on iPhone will discourage the abusers, and won't be a deterrent to those who truly want that device. I myself, have escaped Carrier EIP plans as I paid for my XS Max upfront and have no plans EVER to go back to carrier financing.

It really is a breath of fresh air!!!

16. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68040

Tig Bitties

I agree on the carrier financing on new phones is a waste and bad idea.

We're about 18+ months now, without buying our phones through T-Mobile, we pay in full upfront, when we bought our Pixel 2 XL and 3 XL. Rooted and ROM'd these phone are screaming fast and butter smooth, with the best updates for any Android phone direct from Google.

Not sure I am ready for a downgrade going back to an iPhone, unless iOS is completely revamped, I'm just not into the Fischer Price OS, that feels stuck from a decade ago. No wonder iPhone's are most popular with high school kids and grandparents, that crowd doesn't care

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You might be right!

18. styymy macrumors member

Why not just call T-Mobile and ask them about the deposit policy instead of playing tag on Macrumors?

19. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68040

Tig Bitties

Just for fun I went to ATT and Verizon websites, entered my info, and it stated $0 down for a brand new iPhone XS Max. Can walk out the door not needing to put a deposit down.

So this a T-Mobile only thing it seems

20. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

If we're keeping it 1000, T-Mobile and Sprint tend to have more subprime subscribers.

Thus only when there are special windows open, will T-Mobile allow the $750 financing cap to be exceeded. These windows usually coincide with the launch of new devices, particularly the iPhone.

It's just good business sense on their part. Someone once even detailed the company T-Mobile uses to insure the $750 amount.

21. mhdena, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019

mhdena macrumors 6502

Go on autopay save $5 and don't see things that stress you out.

22. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

Is it a carrier thing as well? I checked and i can get the XS Max from verizon with nothing down.

23. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68040

Tig Bitties

Seems to be, because just for the heck of it, I went to ATT and Verizon websites, entered my info, and both shows zero down to get a new iPhone XS Max 256GB.

On T-Mobile shows I need a $350 deposit for an iPhone XS Max, but strange, is that a brand new Galaxy S10 Plus 1TB, the most expensive high end version, and zero down, no deposit needed on T-Mobile. So it's some weird Apple + T-Mobile thing.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’ve always found iPhones nearly always need a down payment even if similarly priced phones on Android don’t. I’ve never quite understood it. I had to pay £260 up front for my 8+ on contract if I remember?

25. ericwn macrumors 68020

I don’t find much negative to say about iOS and it’s not subscribing to the world’s largest advertising company in return so that’s a plus.
    But then I also don’t frequent forums for products I dislike but that’s just me.