All iPads Why does THIS cause such lag??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by XTheLancerX, Dec 5, 2014.

1. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

image.jpg

It just causes choppiness everywhere. Even with reduce transparency on! Turn that setting on, tap the search bar, open control center. Scroll up and down the search suggestions and favorites area. Yeah, the old favorites screen lagged when the favorites icons were coming forward, but it at least was less... Distracting? Just a nice, blank screen with some icons you're used to seeing, with less lag, etc.

2. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

This causes choppiness because Apple changed the design in iOS 8.0 and has yet to optimize it. Alas, this obvious answer is obviously obvious. Do you have a more specific question?

3. WC23 macrumors newbie

Runs fine on my Air 2. Surprised it lags on the Mini 2 though.

4. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

5. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Yup. Definitely lags on the Mini 2, that's my current tablet. I hate that this lags because 1, it's not even extremely elaborate or anything, just the keyboard with a medium blurred area above. Also, I liked the old thing better when you tapped on the URL bar with iOS 7.

Kinda sad that just 1 year old devices are already made to look 2-3 years old because of all this translucency. I mean, it looks incredible and all but it's the unnecessary areas that do nothing but cause lag that bothers me. Is there a jailbreak tweak where you can disable translucency in some places but not others? I for example would like this area (and maybe the keyboard) to be solid colored, but I still want a blurred Notification Center, banners, control center, dock, folders, etc.

I'm usually against jail breaking because of performance issues caused by intensive tweaks, but if I could greatly improve performance without interfering with too much, i would be down for that.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This is why I want iOS 9: Snow Leopard so bad. A stable iOS 8 would be great for a couple of years. Too bad we don't have that. Everyone needs to take OS development a little slower, IMHO.

7. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I agree. Things will most likely plateau sooner or later anyway... But I dont even want to imagine how hard Apple would be attacked at this point if they barely added anything but optimizations next time around. It's sad how people just want "FEATURES FEATURES FEATURES" and don't even care whether it will trash everything or not.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Well the reality is Android has a boatload of features iOS doesn't have, but Android users tend to have to worry about more fundamental software/hardware interaction issues such as battery life, processor/battery heat, and poor software implementation by OEMs. Which is better? I'm not entirely sure. What I am pretty sure of is that the current OS stability and the public opinion of software upgrades is such that an update that improves stability would be accepted widely.

9. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

youre absolutely right! just ordered 64wifi and 64wifi+cellular, and im worried about hardware: possible bad screen (uneven colours, yellowish areas, bookspines...), distortions, vibrations... so im not sure why i need to be worried when i have had no issues with cheaper android devices for years...

10. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

How about a major update every two years, offset with performance updates every other year. So instead of iOS 8, then 9, then 10, it would be something like 8, then iOS 8s, then iOS 9. Or a rapid release schedule of iOS 8, 9, 10, 11 etc every 4-6 months.

Or, better yet, instead of Apple adding tons of big and small features for their yearly updates, they should focus on a few major features for the major 9.0 and 10.0 etc. updates. And then add the smaller features and improve performance in the point updates 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, etc.

11. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Ofcourse iOS 8 isn't as smooth on previously released devices as it shoud be. The glitches hopefully get ironed out before the release of iOS 9. That said I think it's a deliberate strategy to slow down older devices with every new release. Apple doesn't want you to stay happy with your older device and wants you to upgrade. That's not just Apple btw, but every manufacturer.

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Why does THIS cause such lag??

Well with android i have got better experience with updates... My two years old Note tablet runs like a new one with kitkat than it was with old icescream or the latest jellybean.

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Don't have an iPad myself but I've noticed huge lag/freezing issues in iOS 8.1 on my iPhone 5S, predominantly through Safari & Messages. It's still insanely buggy and I'm really feeling the RAM limit with pages constantly refreshing and apps freezing. I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the hardware or crappy software design. Either way I'm thoroughly unsatisfied.

14. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

15. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

That really should not be happening. I would backup, do a restore, and restore from that backup.

16. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

17. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Only happens on Air 1 or lower ipad models. Its a design decision to force people to upgrade to Air 2.

18. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

iOS 8x works just fine on my iPad2, iPad3, iPad4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2.

The only thing noticeable is that on the iPad2 & iPad3 it's much slower than the iPad(s) 4 and above. Which is as it should be since those iPads have much more powerful hardware.

I have several iPhone 4S's and iPhone 6's. They all run just fine on iOS8 but of course the 6 with it's way more powerful hardware is faster.

Can anyone really expect older/slower hardware to run just as fast and newer tech. on any given OS? :confused:

19. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Why does THIS cause such lag??

because apple cant do it, anyone cant do it? kitkat is running very fluently and better on my two years old tablet than ICS or JB was. of course the hardware is still the same, but you can still have a good experience or a worse experience depending on how well the os is made...

20. RebornProphet Suspended

The buggiest part of iOS 8 on iPad Air is Safari.

Keyboard feels "sluggish" and when in landscape mode there is odd sluggishness in the animation when tapping the address in the onimbar. As the address highlights and slides left and the keyboard slides up from the bottom of the screen, it's nowhere near as smooth as it is in portrait mode.

21. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

I see what you mean sometimes with the keyboard being less responsive in Safari. Doesn't affect usage though. Or, you could use a smooth responsive third party keyboard like Swype.