Why does this happen when I close tabs? (Safari)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ace2617, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2016
    Hey everyone,

I've been having this problem a lot recently, like for the past few months. But within the past few days it's gotten worse, and tonight it's been a big problem. Sometimes, when I try to close a tab in Safari, it freezes and leaves a gap in the tabs (I'll attach a picture). When it freezes, literally nothing on the computer is accessible and I have to shut the lid. Usually when I shut the lid, the Apple logo remains illuminated for about a minute. Then when it's no longer lit, I open up my macbook air and it usually works again. But when it happened just recently, my computer has been extremely sluggish. I'm not sure why this happens. I don't do anything too processor intensive, the most demanding probably being iMovie, which I use about once a week. Other than that I just mostly take notes for my classes in College. It could just be sluggish because of the 4 GB of RAM I suppose. Does this happen to anyone else?

Here's a snapshot I took Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 7.27.16 PM.jpg
  2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Aug 28, 2012
    Between the coasts
    Could be you're having issues with system resources. How long has it been since you've done a proper restart of the system (Apple menu > Restart...)? Shutting the lid just puts the system to sleep. That's fine on a day to day basis, but after a while (maybe weeks, maybe more), a restart can be a good idea.

If you want to know if you have RAM issues, open Activity Monitor > Memory and let it run for a while. https://support.apple.com/HT201464
  3. Ace2617, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016

Ace2617 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2016

It has been a while - I probably don't shut down or restart it as much as I should. I'd say it's been a couple of weeks. I will do that and see if it helps. I'll also run Activity Monitor today, thanks for that tip & link.

Update: I just let Activity Monitor run for a while. At last check, it said I have used about 3.23 GB of my available 4 GB of RAM. As for Memory Pressure, it gave me an all green graph which I think is referring to the ~ 1 GB of RAM I have available