Why does this happen when I close tabs? (Safari)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ace2617, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Ace2617

Hey everyone,

I've been having this problem a lot recently, like for the past few months. But within the past few days it's gotten worse, and tonight it's been a big problem. Sometimes, when I try to close a tab in Safari, it freezes and leaves a gap in the tabs (I'll attach a picture). When it freezes, literally nothing on the computer is accessible and I have to shut the lid. Usually when I shut the lid, the Apple logo remains illuminated for about a minute. Then when it's no longer lit, I open up my macbook air and it usually works again. But when it happened just recently, my computer has been extremely sluggish. I'm not sure why this happens. I don't do anything too processor intensive, the most demanding probably being iMovie, which I use about once a week. Other than that I just mostly take notes for my classes in College. It could just be sluggish because of the 4 GB of RAM I suppose. Does this happen to anyone else?

Here's a snapshot I took Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 7.27.16 PM.jpg

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Could be you're having issues with system resources. How long has it been since you've done a proper restart of the system (Apple menu > Restart...)? Shutting the lid just puts the system to sleep. That's fine on a day to day basis, but after a while (maybe weeks, maybe more), a restart can be a good idea.

If you want to know if you have RAM issues, open Activity Monitor > Memory and let it run for a while. https://support.apple.com/HT201464

3. Ace2617, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016

Ace2617 thread starter macrumors regular

Ace2617

It has been a while - I probably don't shut down or restart it as much as I should. I'd say it's been a couple of weeks. I will do that and see if it helps. I'll also run Activity Monitor today, thanks for that tip & link.

Update: I just let Activity Monitor run for a while. At last check, it said I have used about 3.23 GB of my available 4 GB of RAM. As for Memory Pressure, it gave me an all green graph which I think is referring to the ~ 1 GB of RAM I have available