Why does this happen?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by olliestockton, Apr 11, 2008.

1. olliestockton macrumors member

Well things i download stay on my desktop, like i downloaded microsoft msn and when i launch it a shortcut comes up on the desktop, even if i put a shortcut into the applications and delete it off my desktop it still appears back.

Its strange, any help would be appreciated, reply here or help me over aim or msn, they are both in my profile.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

What you're seeing is the mounted disk image that you downloaded.

How most Mac software installers work is thus:

You download a .dmg file; it is basically a file that acts exactly like a disk (zip, floppy, CD, whatever)--when you double click on it, it "mounts" the disk, and you get the icon of that disk (the white one that looks a little like a floppy drive) on your desktop and elsewhere in the Finder.

That disk image contains the actual application (or occasionally an installer). What you actually want to do to "install" the application is open the disk image and drag the application's icon to your Applications folder. This will copy that application into the Applications folder, and from there you can add it to your Dock, or open it directly.

I assume you're dragging the icon from the disk image directly to your Dock; what this is doing is linking that Dock icon to the copy of the application on the disk image, so that every time you click it the computer needs to mount the disk image (hence making the icon reappear in the Finder) and open it from there.

You're going to want to remove the applications you've done this with from the Dock (drag off and you should get a little "poof" image), copy them from the disk image(s) to the Applications folder, open the Applications folder, and drag the icons from there into the Dock.

You can then "eject" the disk images (if you try to drag them to the trash you've probably noticed you get an "eject" icon, because the computer treats them just like a disk that was inserted), and throw away the .dmg files you downloaded (if you want; you can keep them around to reinstall or something if you feel like it).