Why does this happen?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pagemakers, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I have upgraded to SL on my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.

Both were asleep and I opened the lid on my laptop. Naturally it woke up, but so did my Mac Pro!!

Is this because of the wake on lan thingy?

Does this now mean that wherever I am in the world, when I wake up my laptop it will also wake up my mac at home?

2. wilycoder macrumors 6502

Its called wake on LAN, as in LOCAL area network.

Leave your local network (go to a friends house or something) and the mac pro wont turn on.

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Thanks. So does that mean with this facility I can’t wake my Mac away from my home network if I wanted to?

4. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Sorry buddy but you are wrong.

I have just taken my laptop in my car. I drove 2 miles away and connect via my iPhone using internet tethering and I managed to wake my sleeping Mac at home and connect to the folders on my hard drive.

So I guess my original question still stands!

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

The distance might not be "local" but as far as the computer is concerned, you're still on the same network, so I think the answer stands.

If you go to your buddy's house, use his network, never access your computer at home, the computer remains asleep. Go to your buddy's house and use his network to connect to your computer, it wakes up.

If the computer didn't wake up, you'd never be able to access the folders.

mt

6. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I’m wondering if we are talking about different things here….

At home when I turn my laptop on, my other Mac wakes up also. This is only since the installation of SL.

Since SL ‘retains’ the network connections even when the machines are technically offline I was just wondering if my home machine would wake up as soon as I turned on my laptop while away from home.

Certainly, if I am on another network and try to access the home machine it now wakes it up. I’ve tested that. What I will try tomorrow is will it wake the machine up even if I just turn on my laptop (which still thinks it has a live connection to the home computer) - It does at home...