Why does this look so bad?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by wfoster, Apr 11, 2009.

1. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

For some reason it feels off-centered and not in the right position. Anyone have any ideas where I should put it?

Click here to see what I mean!

This is also my first go at designing my website in Photoshop. Thanks.

NOTE: No other pages work so don't try to click on them. :p

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The page is heavy on the left. In part do to the placement of the text, but also for me the page cuts off on the right and bottom about an inch.

3. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Possibly because the "Home Setup Technical Specification" and the "My home setup" boxes don't end at the same height. Basically like synth3tik mentioned to heavy on the right. Maybe put the menu at the left ?

On a complete personal opinion, your current home page looks better in my opinion. It's much more professional. The current on lacks direction in my opinion, why are you making this web page again, keep that in mind ? Also, you might want to limit yourself to 2 fonts for cohesion. I'm not sure I would put my age in the about me section. The website should be about how you can make the right web page for your client, not about you as a person. Same with the bragging in the "home setup info" witch seems to be the biggest highlight of the home page.

If I was a client, I would think this wizz kid just learned some stuff but has no idea how to use it. Not oh, a web designer that's starting up, wow his stuff is clean and to the point and probably fairly cheap, perfect for my whatever-business' webpage.

4. LeviG macrumors 65816

Apologies in advance if this sounds harsh

The above is your first mistake. My first website (and I'm no web designer) was designed with a pen and paper, my current designs for my revised site were first done on pen and paper.

Your 'page' is actually misaligned, there's a gap in the middle (due to the left image) and the menu is too wide due to the borders.
    The reason it looks too heavy on the left is the additional spray pattern making it darker and the bold menus which are drawing the eye in, there's also a huge amount of white on the right hand side.

Theres no need for the 'home setup', the only time I see system specs is when I go to a site selling stuff or supplying a service such as hosting or rendering. As a potential client I couldn't give a monkey's how you make the site as long as it looks how I want it etc.

And your text needs changing too.

Nobody will ring a mobile and you've also got the +44 wrong, its +44 (0) 7515...

I would seriously suggest looking at your competition, I'm all for starting out early but you've got to be realistic and understand just how much more you have to learn. I'll be blunt in saying that my web skills are better than yours and even I don't advertise as a full on web designer.

5. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Was that really necessary?

6. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Nope, it wasn't.

7. LeviG macrumors 65816

Actually I do still feel its necessary, in a market as over saturated as web design you have to really have stand out qualities in your work (or the right connections) and there are many many people out there of varying ages who think just because they have the software or have managed to put a basic site online that they can do web design for a living. Sometimes you need someone to be blunt and tell them that they are not as good as they think they are.

As I said I can do more in terms of web design but I wouldn't advertise myself as a web designer purely due to the fact that I know that I don't know enough about things that people are asking for these days. Not to say either myself or the op couldn't learn them but to advertise as a web designer with what is fundamentally a site which can be bettered by some of the templates available then you have to think that maybe at this moment in time advertising as a web designer isn't the right thing to do.

And I also said with my very first line in my original post apologies if this is harsh - I say it as I see it, designers (should) have thick skins and criticism is part of the job.

In my view the op should consider making the site as a personal thing rather than trying to make it into a 'business' website, build up the skills (theres plenty of tutorials out there) and then maybe look at courses at the local colleges (hell maybe even look into night classes) to get some proper training.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

There is a difference between constructive criticism and just being rude simply for the sake of being rude. Granted, I work from the same end of the table, but I wouldn't hire you if acted like that. Bashing your competition is not good in a business setting.

OP: It is fairly obvious you're new to design - which is alright. We all start somewhere.

As said already, examine other design houses who provide similar services; See how they promote or feature certain skills, or what angle they take to their design work. Larger design agencies seem to have a strategy that makes their process unique - and they feature this on their site. You need to pay attention to the alignment of elements on a page, and really watch your typing and grammar (which I assume you'll fix as you develop the site).

Also, there is too much information on that page - you'll need an about page, a contact page and a portfolio page at least. Get a book like "Don't Make Me Think" and read it three or four times. And your clients' are unlikely to really care what type of system you have - they're more interested in your skills and ability to provide them with a service they want.

9. a cat *miaow* macrumors regular

I would say yes. If you come to a forum asking for help why your site doesn't look good.. and that site is selling the service of web design? I'd say it's a valid point.

And can I ask, do you really think any single person who ever looks at your site cares how much RAM you have in your MacBook, or how many games you have for your ps3?
    Why not put something useful like a list of skills or experience/education.

The reason it isn't looking good is because you aren't working to any form of grid – everything's different sizes, placed wherever they seem to fit. You have three different type styles and there's no prioritising of information.
    I'm guessing that you are completely self taught, so well done for how far you've got but you need to go back and learn more about the fundamentals of visual communication before you start trying to sell a service such as this.

I don't want to sound too negative because you have made a good start for what you want to be doing but there's a big difference in being able to get a site online and then getting a good site online. If you're serious about doing this you should get more involved with learning about the design side of web development.

10. LeviG macrumors 65816

If you think what I said was rude then that's your view, but it was not meant in a rude way and as I've said I warned that it could be harsh.
    If you note I also gave constructive criticism in the first of my posts and then again in the second one :rolleyes:

And if you think what I was writing was bashing the competition then I need to revise the way I critique my own work as I'm even harsher with it and I actually say to my clients during meetings that I would rather have a client say it as they see it, because at the end of the day if they sit on something they don't like so as not to offend the designer then it wastes both my time and their money. Nobody likes to have to do things twice or change things just before a deadline.