Why does this process keep running?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gigabit, Jul 9, 2009.

1. gigabit macrumors newbie

Hello. I recently installed Little Snitch on my Mac and I immediately noticed a process by the name of GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent constantly trying to connect to Google's servers. The process is located in the following location:

/Users/me/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent

I know I could easily delete the file, but first I'm more interested in finding out exactly what mechanism is allowing this process to be run periodically. I checked the login items for my account, /Library/StartupItems/, and /System/Library/StartupItems/ and there's nothing there. So how does this thing keep starting itself?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's usually there because you installed Google Desktop / Earth / etc. I got rid of Google Desktop because that dang thing kept getting started. Don't expect it to be easy to get rid of. It has a habit of recreating itself.

3. larkost macrumors 6502a

This is run by a per-user launchagent so in:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

If you delete it it will be re-created the first time you use any of the Google applications that it updates. I have feed-back to Google that not being able to disable this is a really bad idea, and will prevent their software from being run in computer labs.

4. gigabit thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you know, there it is! Thanks... I didn't even know about the LaunchAgents folder until now. Good to know. Thanks again.