Why does Time Capsule suck so bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by djsound, Mar 20, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

I was just going to buy one on the apple site but every single person gives it a 1 star review and they say they are terrible!! How can apple sell these?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The hard drives are known to fail, however the newer models don't suffer nearly as badly from this issue.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have a Time Capsule and have never had problems. I highly recommend it.

4. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

Problem doing 1 star because they are so expensive

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Power supply, not Hard Drive. The newer models aren't old enough to know if this is still an issue or not since the issue occurred at 18-24 months.

Compared to other NAS it has fewer features, worse performance and is more expensive, but it is quiet and integrates into Time Machine beautifully.

B

6. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Ya I dont really want to back up my very important stuff with a hard drive that's known to fail. :rolleyes: I hope they fix it

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I don't back up with the internal Time Capsule hard drive, I just use it as an external drive for connected computers. I connect a 2 TB external hard drive to it through USB to back up all my computers.

8. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

A few people complaining about something does not indicate an epidemic. I have a 1st gen Time Capsule with zero issues, recently upgraded the drive inside to 1.5TB and still no issues.

However, no intelligent person would rely on a single source of backups for their important data.

9. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The power supply and hard drive problems with the older TC were probably due to the known issue of excess heat. Heat is the enemy of hard drives, and also power supply electrolytic capacitors. I have one of the latest 1GB TCs, and it runs only warm to the touch. I don't know what drives Apple is using in the new TCs, but if they are WD Caviar Blacks, those are reliable drives.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The fact that Apple will replace those early units without question outside warranty is a clear indication that it isn't just "a few people complaining". Mine worked fine too for about 20 months, until one day it didn't. Time will tell if they fixed it in later revs or not.

B